Rev 2 & 3 turbo engine harness difference

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Liam-Mc

Rev 2 & 3 turbo engine harness difference

Post by Liam-Mc »

Hi, hoping I can get some help here.

Are there any major differences between the rev 2 turbo engine harness and the rev 3 turbo harness?

I know the rev 2 runs an afm where the rev 3 has a map sensor so that connector is obviously different. I see people running rev 3 turbo injectors on rev 2 turbos so injector connectors are the same. What about throttle body etc.?

Reason I'm asking is I have a rev 2 turbo engine,harness,wcu, gearbox etc. And I also have a rev 3 n/a car.

My plan is to use the rev 2 turbo block, the rev 3 n/a cylinder head and cams, rev 3 n/a sump with a drain added in for turbo return. And then start on buying rev 3 manifold,ecu,injectors etc. I'm in no hurry as it's just a toy anyway and happy to strip looms n stuff. Please no just buy a rev 3 engine comments. The rev 2 turbo engine needs a turbo anyway as the previous owner ran a cheap air filter and has chipped the fins. So will be putting on a c20b turbo anyway or possible a garret td05 with some fabricating.

Thanks in advance 👍

Topic author
Liam-Mc

Re: Rev 2 & 3 turbo engine harness difference

Post by Liam-Mc »

So far I've found

Afm - map connectors different
O2 sensor wires different
Alternator plug?

Mike
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Mike »

Hi hopefully these things might help a bit
Im not sure if yours does but rev2 turbos have a cold start injector in the intake manifold that rev3's dont have. Also rev3's have a IAT sensor in the manifold that i dont think the rev2's have as they use a sensor in the AFM i think. This http://gt4.mwp.id.au/Electrical/3SGTE%2 ... inouts.pdf is a link that has some of the pin outs for different ECUs including the JDM rev3.

One thing is why wouldn't you just do a full rev2 conversion if you have the engine harnesses and ecu?

Topic author
Liam-Mc

Post by Liam-Mc »

Thanks Mike, that's excellent help!
Yeah I know what you mean, I may just give the rev2 3sgte a mild rebuild and drop it in for now.

It was more for that extra reliability. I know the rev 3 cylinder head is a better design with the shims being under the buckets etc. I think the ports were also improved? Since the rev 3 is an n/a it means I also can use the n/a cams since they are slightly more aggressive. Also I'd imagine I could use the rev 3 sump since its stronger ( would need to weld on a drain )

As the looms are similar I dont mind just stripping the loom and adding the wires and connectors I need when it comes to doing the rev 3 ecu conversion.

My rev 3 n/a does actually run very well and engine seems strong so would be a good base for a build. I could always sell the rev2 3sgte later and just forge the n/a engine I suppose.

Also looked into the gen 4 conversion but it doesn't seem as popular over here compared go the usa, same with the k swap conversion. I'd imagine the k20 would be a lot lighter also and have a wide range of parts/turbos available .

The car is just a toy for me so have plenty time and patience with it.

I did think about selling it and buying a genuine rev 3 turbo too but there doesn't seem to be many out there and the couple that I did see were around the 10k mark

Mike

Post by Mike »

At the end of the day it depends on what your power goal is for the car and then what you are going to use it for.

IMO you will always be limited by stock pistons on a gen2 or gen3 i would be very comfortable running more that 300bhp on either with a stock ecu.

yeah i think i have only seen one gen4 swap in the uk and i think its because we got the gen3 and the easiest way to get a gen4 would be to import one if you wanted do the swap.
Kswap is again more popular in the usa as you can get swap parts over there to make it easier to do.

As for selling and buying turbo i would be more interested in the condition of your car if it has had any rust repair and that you know it is solid. If it is a nice solid base i would be more intrested in keeping it and doing an engine swap as you never know the full condition of the car you are going to buy.

Topic author
Liam-Mc

Post by Liam-Mc »

Thanks Mike, I think I will drop in the gen 2 for now and put the gen 3 n/a engine on a stand ready for forging. Ideally I would like around the 300bhp mark I think but you know what it's like, you always want a little more power.

The car I have is solid, high miles but very solid car. It looks like its had sills before but a professional job. There is one small square of welding on the floor, either from a water ingress caused by the door seal being split or somebody has cross threaded the seat mount points and welded in a patch but again decent job done. Bottom of my drivers door is rusty, again probably caused by the window seal.
The only other small thing I found was a couple small holes in the boot/behind bumper at the corners. Someone has fitted an aftermarket aerial and they left a big gap so water was obviously getting it. I'll patch that up this week.

Other than that though it's very clean, hardly even any surface rust anywhere, big stack of history, even has all the under trays fitted n stuff. Handles very well so happy to spend some money on it.

Only thing that let's it down but being picky is the paint, it has been painted here and there so isn't perfect. But I need to remember it is 26 year old car

Mike

Post by Mike »

Sounds like you are good to go.

You will notice a jump in power even with a stock gen2 turbo compared with your NA. then you can add a boost controller and the usual breathing mods exhaust and intake get it up to the power you want should be a good little project.

Then if you still want more you can build up the other engine on the side get an aftermarket ecu and make more power and still have saftey knowing the engine will hold the power.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”