Drivers side window switches - any alternatives?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MrTow
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 1

Drivers side window switches - any alternatives?

Post by MrTow »

My drivers window switch has bitten the dust, so I've been looking at a replacement switch panel. Cheapest so far is £40(!) on eBay. I seem to remember someone saying that the same part was used on another Toyota or maybe a Lexus of the same year. Does anyone remember if that's true and which model?

Thanks

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Drivers side window switches - any alternatives?

Post by shinny »

I think the chance of that is low because it would need to come from a two-door car... and if you do find something compatible, it's likely that the car it comes from is rarer than an MR2 and therefore the parts will likely be more expensive.

The switch panels separate into a few parts and the window switch in one module so could potentially be swapped even if the panel itself is the wrong size.

I did see the Soarer / SC300 switches look similar, but the driver/passenger switches are different widths, while on the MR2 they're the same width.

Topic author
MrTow

Post by MrTow »

Some of the old Celicas only have two switches but look to be a different shape. I remember cars only having electric windows in the front. I don't know if every manfacturer did that or just the Vauxhall we had when I was a kid.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

I'd say £40 for what your getting isn't particularly expensive (the MK2 master panel isn't just a switch, it contains electronics and a relay, whereas the MK1 is just a switch and the electronics/relay is separate), a new one (if you can get it) is in the region of £250.
Spent some time with the EPC and found that there are 2 part numbers for the master window controller
Before 1993/11 = 84820-10030
After 1993/11 = 84820-16050
using the "Part Number Application to Model" function reveals that same switch is used on a couple of models. see the attached screenshots
Before November 1993 MK2 master window switch.jpg
After November 1993 MK2 master window switch.jpg
hth
Jimi

NOTE
These part numbers have only been checked against the European/UK database so may not apply to imports, I'll check the JDM database shortly :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
MrTow

Post by MrTow »

super stuff! Thanks, Jimi

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Checked the JDM database and similar but with different part numbers:
Before November 1993 = 84820-87010
After November 1993 = 84820-16040
Screenshots from th EPC "Part Number Application to Models" function
JDM before 1993 MK2 master window switch.jpg
JDM before 1993 MK2 master window switch.jpg (93.12 KiB) Viewed 70 times
JDM after 1993 MK2 master window switch.jpg

shinny

Post by shinny »

I stand corrected Jimi! These starlet switches, for example, look like they've got the right part to screw into place!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Starl ... 4264255108

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

I'm only going by what Mr T has in the EPC, looks like they could be handy (and cheaper) alternatives

Topic author
MrTow

Post by MrTow »

Looks like they're missing the mirror controls, but may be easy enough to switch out just the switch (pardon the pun) from the unit. I'll try to pop out the broken unit later and see how easy it is to replace individual components.

Definitely a better option than this one that adds an extra switch/button hidden in the door handle: http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/65742 ... post715484

shinny

Post by shinny »

MrTow wrote: 30/04/20 11:37 Looks like they're missing the mirror controls, but may be easy enough to switch out just the switch (pardon the pun) from the unit. I'll try to pop out the broken unit later and see how easy it is to replace individual components.
The mirror controls and the window/lock controls are different units - they detach separately from the control panel and are on different electrical plugs. You'll be fine :th:

Topic author
MrTow

Post by MrTow »

Out of curiosity I took it apart to have a nosey. It turns out some water has got in at some stage and corroded some of the copper contacts. I've cleaned them up with some wet and dry for the time being, which has improved things enough that I can reliably close the window. Probably not a permanent fix, but it will do the job until I buy a new part.

If anybody's curious, this is what the inside of the switches looks like. My corroded contacts are in the bottom-right of the photo. It's easy enough to take apart but there are a few bits like springs and contacts that like to fall out if you're not careful.
IMG_20200430_190220.jpg
IMG_20200430_190220.jpg (60.85 KiB) Viewed 30 times

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”