Transmission Oil

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andyjf89
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Transmission Oil

Post by andyjf89 »

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good transmission oil for my 93 tubby? It has an LSD (not sure if that makes any difference!)

Thanks in advance

Andy

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Re: Transmission Oil

Post by abovetherim »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121617362859

This is the stuff I used but I don't have LSD
Some gear oils have friction modifiers but I believe this is if you have a plate LSD but if yours is OEM it will be a viscous LSD .

Now I don't know this for sure so hopefully someone with better knowledge on the subject will pipe up
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

mr2-man

Post by mr2-man »

I've got 4 quarts of MT90 in my dining room ready to go into my lsd turbo box...did lots of digging and the threads about GL5 ruining sychros scared the life out of me.

Was £67 - ordered on Monday, and arrived on Wednesday:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Line-75W ... 2749.l2649

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

Nice one cheers guys, I think I’ll stick to the Redline MT90 and see how she fairs for a couple thousand miles.

I can’t see it making a massive difference as I will only cover a couple thousand in a year if lucky (damn Scottish weather 😩).

Thanks chaps

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Any good GL4 will do the job, MT90 is one such example.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

mickybo

Post by mickybo »

Mt90 is what most go for as the boxes are old now, I used Fuchs titan race syn 5 as that's what my tuner recommended haven't for it out on the road yet as it's back on the dyno as just finishing off my build

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

mickybo wrote: 03/05/20 9:49 Mt90 is what most go for as the boxes are old now, I used Fuchs titan race syn 5 as that's what my tuner recommended haven't for it out on the road yet as it's back on the dyno as just finishing off my build
Thanks mate,

I think I’ll stick with that then. I had always heard good things with the MT90 but have never used it personally. I believe it is what is in the box just now but I’ve recently bought the car so want all oils/fluids changed for peace of mind.

Cheers 🤙🏼

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”