Any idea what this is??

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andyjf89
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Any idea what this is??

Post by andyjf89 »

I found this in the drivers side footwell, there was more in the undertray under the steering column. Never seen it before, feels soft like degraded rubber or something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Re: Any idea what this is??

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yes the rubber round the steering column as it goes through the firewall degrades and falls to bits. Mine recently totally fell to bits and was on the drivers footwell.

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 13/05/20 22:06 Yes the rubber round the steering column as it goes through the firewall degrades and falls to bits. Mine recently totally fell to bits and was on the drivers footwell.

Ahh okay, did you find a replacement? And was it easy enough to replace?

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

No I just have a gap now between the column and the firewall, really makes no difference to me. The car is getting old now, every time I turn the key and it runs now is a bonus.

Going to be hard to replace unless you put a split in it to pass it over the steering column or else your going to have to pull the whole column out....no thanks.

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 14/05/20 2:05 No I just have a gap now between the column and the firewall, really makes no difference to me. The car is getting old now, every time I turn the key and it runs now is a bonus.

Going to be hard to replace unless you put a split in it to pass it over the steering column or else your going to have to pull the whole column out....no thanks.

No worries, I know that feeling of potential disappointment every time the car is started haha

I’ll just leave it then, was just going to replace it if it is common practice to sort it out but sounds like more hassle than it’s worth.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”