Engine lid fans

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andyjf89
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Engine lid fans

Post by andyjf89 »

Has anyone had these/experience of these? I know the 2’s engine bay gets silly hot and was wondering if there is any real benefit from having them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Engine lid fans

Post by peteV6R5 »

Had a single in my tubby lid on the V6 not that setup, these fans have big power drain, close to 8 amps each, so that needs to be taken into consideration with battery and available alternator power output.
saying that my single would pull summer bay temps in traffic from 45c down to 38c pretty quick
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Engine lid fans

Post by MR2DI4 »

Personally I went to a single fan.

If you get the right size and profile fan you can simply sandwich it between the hood and the stock rain tray with no screws or fasteners required, its far tidier in appearance and the water is still going where its supposed to. Do it right with tidy wiring in that flexible black conduit and it looks better than stock.

Also the current draw starts to climb and it may not simply be a question of tapping the power for it from the existing side mount inter cooler fan. You also want them to still be automatically temperate controlled so this is the logical take off point because you do not want them to be running all the time because the noise is frankly annoying.

I also upgraded the stock intercooler fan at the same time so the current draw went through the roof. Took a new 30Amp fused feed from the engine bay fuse box and used the stock Fan ECU relay to drive a spare power steering relay that's good for like 60 Amps to drive both fans. My hood fan is just a cheapie but the IC fan is a SPAL so the combined current would be like 20 Amps when they kick in. Made an additional box of electronics for mine so not only do they both kick in with temperature but they kick in when the boost goes over 5psi.

You have to remember that this puts some significant intermittent additional load on the alternator so you better have one that's been rebuilt with a set of new rectifier diodes and brushes in it.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”