Engine suddenly not starting after cleaning out the engine bay

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
tristan kay

Engine suddenly not starting after cleaning out the engine bay

Post by tristan kay »

Hi guys,
Yesterday I cleaned out the engine bay with some gunk and then a pressure washer thinking the engine would be fine. It run 20 minutes after cleaning it and letting it dry and so we thought it was fine. We then went to start it again later that day and it just made a clicking noise. We charged the battery overnight and tried again this morning to no prevail. I was just wondering if any of you guys could help and hopefully, it's a quick fix... We gathered it might be electrical but are not entirely sure. I've attached an image of part of the engine bay with 2 loose connections and didn't know if that had any effect so I thought I'd add them anyway. To add to that, the alarm has suddenly started going off whenever I open the door.
Cheers in advance, Tristan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Engine suddenly not starting after cleaning out the engine bay

Post by benckj »

First thing I’d check is water in your spark plug wells and then the distributor. Loose wire appears to be something associated with alarm as not factory.

Jim

Topic author
tristan kay

Re: Engine suddenly not starting after cleaning out the engine bay

Post by tristan kay »

Cheers Jim,
Found out that it was down to a loose connection at one of the battery connections. All fixed now.
Cheers anyway.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”