Rust under the dreaded foam

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Morphman

Rust under the dreaded foam

Post by Morphman »

I wasnt sure whether to start a new thread so apologies admins if I shouldn't have.
I assume the attached pics are bad news, there are no signs of rust on the outer sills at all.
Should I do more investigations and if so where?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Rust under the dreaded foam

Post by peteV6R5 »

wire brushed mine (none ferrous wires), then hoovered out the crap.
dynatrolled (cavity rust prevention and waxy oil the entire sill , was still perfectly good 5 years later. saying that is was no where near the level of rust you are showing.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

peteV6R5 wrote: 07/07/20 11:14 wire brushed mine (none ferrous wires), then hoovered out the crap.
dynatrolled (cavity rust prevention and waxy oil the entire sill , was still perfectly good 5 years later. saying that is was no where near the level of rust you are showing.
Thanks for the reply Pete, thought I scared everyone😁
I don't want to go cutting the sill's out for no reason. The car is in good shape overall, usual bits bottom of doors etc. Should I be removing the wheel arch inserts, bumpers etc??

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

check the wells either side of boot floor and into the rear arches. that will give you idea if the rear end is / has started to fail before removing rear bumper etc.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

peteV6R5 wrote: 07/07/20 15:31 check the wells either side of boot floor and into the rear arches. that will give you idea if the rear end is / has started to fail before removing rear bumper etc.
Thanks mate

Topic author
Morphman

Post by Morphman »

Cant find any rust anywhere else
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Looking very clean under there..... although mine did too until they rotted out.... have a really good look and a poke around under the rear arches, especially at the back... if they're on the way they will sound and feel a little crispy. Not a car killer but it can be expensive to repair if they go through, I had mine rebuilt to a very high standard but cost me dear, about £600 per side all in.

Basically yea as said if its all still solid clean it all off thoroughly and treat it.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”