Coilovers and wheel offset?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Coilovers and wheel offset?

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Fitted the new extended wheel studs with the 5mm spacers. All good, until now.

Osf is rubbing again and i can smell rubber burning.

I’m guessing the camber bolts have loosened causing the issue. Again, if you want a job doing right......

Out of interest, what offset of wheel does everyone with coilovers use here?

I’m running 215/40/17’s and 235/40/17’s.

Why I ever broke my promise to myself to never bother with coilovers again I’ll never know. Lol.

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: Coilovers and wheel offset?

Post by Chris69 »

Currently I'm running stock rev 5 wheels and yes the fronts are very close, cant even get a finger between them, never had one rub though. with your setup your going an extra 15mm towards the spring over stock. With your 5mm spacer your offset is essentially 35 so your back out to 10mm closer than stock, I would probably go 25 or 20 to be on the safe side. If you have any washers handy you could simulate spacers to see whats needed. (obviously this is just for test fit, do not actually drive the car!!)

Have test fitted 8j +20 fronts and 9j +15mm rears and they are absolutely spot on flush with the arches and good coilover clearance. When I fit the extended studs I'll send a pic.

Just FYI Coilovers are Tein Flex Z coilovers (basically a new version of the superstreets), unsure what yours are but could check specs to compare spring diameter.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Chris69 wrote: 16/07/20 17:51 Currently I'm running stock rev 5 wheels and yes the fronts are very close, cant even get a finger between them, never had one rub though. with your setup your going an extra 15mm towards the spring over stock. With your 5mm spacer your offset is essentially 35 so your back out to 10mm closer than stock, I would probably go 25 or 20 to be on the safe side. If you have any washers handy you could simulate spacers to see whats needed. (obviously this is just for test fit, do not actually drive the car!!)

Have test fitted 8j +20 fronts and 9j +15mm rears and they are absolutely spot on flush with the arches and good coilover clearance. When I fit the extended studs I'll send a pic.

Just FYI Coilovers are Tein Flex Z coilovers (basically a new version of the superstreets), unsure what yours are but could check specs to compare spring diameter.
Yip, just as I thought, front camber bolts where not tightened up properly.

All four front camber bolts where barely finger tight.

Fitted 8mm spacers to both sides so it doesn’t rub and ill be getting another alignment done.

Luckily it started rubbing about a mile from home in town.

Barely finger tight!!!!
Last edited by BALDYMONSTER on 16/07/20 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

Yikes, what camber are you running? I think I may have a fair bit of -ve on mine but haven't had the alignment done yet (car spends most of its time parked up, London and all that)
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Should all be as close to standard as possible.

But this time I made two mistakes, I let a guy I don’t know who is about two pounds heavier than a budgie do the alignment. And secondly I left him to it after about 20 mins.

The guy that usually does it is a real old school guy, really picky and he has nailed it each time he’s done the alignment before. But he’s left now.

But still, all four front bottom bolts finger tight.....

Anyhow, glad I caught it as and when I did.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Not sure what the offset of my wheels are tbh. They’re 7.5 by 17’s. Hyperzygen 5ZR’s.

Think I might have a saved pic somewhere of the back of the wheel that may have the offset stamped on it.

Rear has 10mm spacers with about another maybe 5mm to go but that’s with a bit of the rear arch trimmed off and sealed just to make sure.
Last edited by BALDYMONSTER on 16/07/20 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Found that pic of the inside of the alloys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”