1996 Turbo ECU pin out diagram request

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Turborevival

1996 Turbo ECU pin out diagram request

Post by Turborevival »

Hello. Does anyone have the correct ECU Pin Out diagram for a 96 Rev 3 Turbo please? The garage I'm using said I have provided the wrong one. Any help appreciated. Thanks

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: 1996 Turbo ECU pin out diagram request

Post by benckj »

Pop the lid on the ECU and look at the labling on internal board.

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

benckj wrote: 16/07/20 19:48 Pop the lid on the ECU and look at the labling on internal board.
If its the wrong ecu that wont help.

Check the part number for the ecu you have, 89661-17460 should be for revision 3 and the label will be black and white. Rev 1 and 2 had red and white.

I have one at my lockup garage, if you can wait until the weekend I can have a look.
There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

1996 is the changeover year for Rev3 and Rev4 - are you 100% sure you have a rev3 and not a rev4?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Rev 4 needs the transponder and key to work, had this trouble before with the n/a rev 4 and 5's. not sure if you can re-programme any of them for any key/transponder but when I swapped mine out (some 12 years ago now) I was told rev 4 and 5 ecu's are trash on their own.

(OO==\°/==OO)

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Chris69 wrote: 18/07/20 20:22 Rev 4 needs the transponder and key to work, had this trouble before with the n/a rev 4 and 5's. not sure if you can re-programme any of them for any key/transponder but when I swapped mine out (some 12 years ago now) I was told rev 4 and 5 ecu's are trash on their own.
Not true (for NA's at least), as long as you're swapping like for like part numbers you can swap the ECU over. The key is coded to the transponder/immobiliser control unit, NOT the ECU itself.

I swapped a UK Rev5 ECU like for like with no issue, and since moved the ECU that came off that car on as it did not fix the problem I was chasing at the time.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

I meant for swapping into a different motor, did a rev 5 into a rev 1, had to get a rev3 ecu for it to work.
Was much easier to get a rev3 ecu than to find a key and transponder.

In any case.... OP did you manage to get the part number? Going to the lock up tomorrow so can get pin outs for rev 3 if you still need them?

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
Turborevival

Post by Turborevival »

Hello. Thanks for all replies. I'm not now if it is a rev 3 or 4, I will have to look into it. The mechanic at the garage will hopefully get the part number for me today. I would still like the pin outs, thanks.
I was thinking a simple method of confirming the ecu is not the cause of the non start would be to swap it with a known working one, does anyone have one for sale?
How can I determine if my car has a factory fitted immobiliser? The aftermarket immobiliser has been removed.

Cheers

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Closest you will get to 1996 electrical diagrams is 1995, haven't come across any newer diagrams. You can download a pdf copy from here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/c ... 1-mk2.html You'll find the ECU info for the 3S-GTE starting on page 56 ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Turborevival wrote: 20/07/20 8:24 How can I determine if my car has a factory fitted immobiliser? The aftermarket immobiliser has been removed.
I am not sure there ever was a *factory* immobiliser on the Japan market cars. Note the lack of any anti theft category:

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1996/mr ... electrical

For UK market cars:

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/199 ... electrical

I believe any security was a dealer option, aftermarket fitted by the dealer.

I'm not 100% certain on this, its just based on what can be seen in the parts cat.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

See pinout diagram, tbh taking a pic was impossible with all the pins overlapping on camera so this was easier....
Basically with the ecu sat with the top plate facing up, looking directly at the pins this is what you get:
DSC_0255.JPG

(OO==\°/==OO)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”