Rev 3 Turbo (& GT4 ST205) MAP sensor

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Rev 3 Turbo (& GT4 ST205) MAP sensor

Post by Chris69 »

Hi all, this will be the last piece of the puzzle after a couple of year of collecting parts for my st205 engine going into my old Rev1 mr2. (Obviously there's been no rush!)

I know the sensors are identical even though the part numbers are different (much like a lot of the gt4/Mr2 parts) and are impossible to find at a reasonable price.

I've found 1 supplier for these and it's £300!! :w_tf: which i'm willing to pay through very gritted teeth but firstly am i correct in thinking that it's just a 5v 2.5bar pressure sensor? And has anyone discovered a valid alternative?

Does it actually do anything else?

I have the curve of Psi against Vout and its bang on linear as expected but that's all the info out there.

Cheers

There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Voivod

Re: Rev 3 Turbo (& GT4 ST205) MAP sensor

Post by Voivod »

Chris69 wrote: 23/07/20 12:28)

I know the sensors are identical even though the part numbers are different (much like a lot of the gt4/Mr2 parts) and are impossible to find at a reasonable price.

I've found 1 supplier for these and it's £300!! :w_tf: which i'm willing to pay through very gritted teeth but firstly am i correct in thinking that it's just a 5v 2.5bar pressure sensor? And has anyone discovered a valid alternative?

Does it actually do anything else?

I have the curve of Psi against Vout and its bang on linear as expected but that's all the info out there.

Cheers
On rev3 is important and the car wouldn't run properly. On Rev1 or Rev2 it doesn't matter as mine is disconnected from the boost hose pipe so I don't go in limp mode after 10psi

As far as I remember they are over £450+vat from Toyota :laughing I've got REv3 map sensor for my other build. Denso part number the same Toyota part numbers will differ because of mounting bracket difference but the sensors the same. I've used Rev3 map sensor on Rev2 when troubleshooting the problem.I wouldn't pay £300 for it.Try second hand maybe..

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Rev 3 Turbo (& GT4 ST205) MAP sensor

Post by jimi »

If it's anything like the MK1 (and I suspect it is) then the ECU uses the MAP signal (among others) to calculate the fueling. If you look in the MK1 downloads section there's an article by Jeremy Ross (https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/d ... 2-ecu.html ) he basically reverse engineered the MK1 ECU and explains how it works, I suspect the MK2 won't be vastly different in principle.
I vaguely recollect something about some difference in the way the sensors work on different models something about the signal being inverted ? BUT I might be thinking of something different. I'll see if I can find anything in my notes
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”