Anyone fitted retractable mirrors to a REV2 UK N/A ?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
novinno

Anyone fitted retractable mirrors to a REV2 UK N/A ?

Post by novinno »

The well known JohnnyC illustrated instructions for fitting electrically folding mirrors to a UK N/A is only correct for REV3, 4 & 5 models. The door looms are significantly different to those in a REV2, which can be identified by having only 3 pin plugs fitted to the mirrors and 3 pin sockets within the looms. Also they do not have heated mirror glass.
If you have managed to overcome the problems involved in the REV2 conversion, it would be good to hear from you.
Cheers.
Last edited by novinno on 15/10/20 20:32, edited 2 times in total.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Anyone fitted retractable mirrors to a REV2 UK N/A ?

Post by jimi »

Probably the easiest way is to use the JDM harness with the 7 pin connectors, either that or you'll need to run an extra 4 wires to each mirror. I have a copy of the JDM wiring diagram for folding mirrors if that is any use to you ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
novinno

Post by novinno »

Thanks jimi for your reply.
I have that JDM wiring diagram.Also a set of JDM looms, plus of course a set of UK N/A REV2 in the car, retract mirrors, door switch and retract module.
I have studied the diagrams and looms I have and also every bit of information I can find on line, but nowhere is fitting retractable mirrors to a REV2 covered, especially on the wiring side.
Maybe somebody, somewhere will be able to advise me if they have successfully completed this ? :)

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

The difference between 3-pin and 5-pin mirrors is really negligible! Don't write off the instructions because you're missing two wires unrelated to the retraction.

I've retro fitted retracting mirrors to two rev3 cars (both without heated mirrors) with absolutely no problem. I've never had a JDM door loom to work with, but find it pretty easy to create some additional wiring looms and feed them into the doors. In fact I'd suggest it's easier than tearing down the entire door to fit a different loom - especially as the plugs for the locking mechanisms may well be different between UK and JDM.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”