Tried to jump start, smoke, spark and pop

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
shaz-99

Tried to jump start, smoke, spark and pop

Post by shaz-99 »

hi everyone, just made an account to post this, really need some help.

i just got an MR2 from gumtree and the previous owner got it from an auction.

haven't turned the car on as the battery is dead, tried to jump start the car but when i tried to it made quite a bit of sparks, and a pop sound and some smoke from battery, only a little. i noticed the clips from the cable where also burnt.

I have no idea what to do, also the alternator fuse is blown, dunno if this was from before or after.

would really appreciate any help

thank you :D

nick

Re: Tried to jump start, smoke, spark and pop

Post by nick »

It would be wise to turn the engine by hand before trying to start. Obviously check all fluids.

John harle

Post by John harle »

Just connect it up. Sometimes you get a little spark as the connection with the leads are made but once it’s on it stops.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

The only time I've seen that happen is when the jump leads were connected the wrong way around
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

angpozzuto wrote: 21/12/20 12:23 The only time I've seen that happen is when the jump leads were connected the wrong way around
^^^^^^ This :th: especially going by your description
haven't turned the car on as the battery is dead, tried to jump start the car but when i tried to it made quite a bit of sparks, and a pop sound and some smoke from battery, only a little. i noticed the clips from the cable where also burnt.

I have no idea what to do, also the alternator fuse is blown, dunno if this was from before or after.
Every chance you have blown the fusible link as well.
My advice would be to disconnect the battery and charge it for 12 hours with a charger before trying again
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
shaz-99

Post by shaz-99 »

angpozzuto wrote: 21/12/20 12:23 The only time I've seen that happen is when the jump leads were connected the wrong way around
ive made sure to ensure this didnt happen, i triple checked everything to ensure this didnt happen, i think the previous owner many have done this though, would this cause any issues as my alternator fuse is blown

Topic author
shaz-99

Post by shaz-99 »

jimi wrote: 21/12/20 14:30
^^^^^^ This :th: especially going by your description

My advice would be to disconnect the battery and charge it for 12 hours with a charger before trying again
is it possible that the battery internally could of shorted? or any other issue with the battery, i made sure the leads were connected correctly, pos to pos, neg to car unpainted chassis.

the engine doesnt even crank and theres no signs of life whatsoever, i think that may be due to the battery, how can i test the battery before buying a new one and risk damaging that one, in case there is a bigger fault that i dont know?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Do you have a multi meter (and some idea of how to use it) ?

Topic author
shaz-99

Post by shaz-99 »

jimi wrote: 22/12/20 22:26 Do you have a multi meter (and some idea of how to use it) ?
yup, battery had 12.16v, what else should i do

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Is that connected to the car or disconnected ? With it connected and the ignition on what's the battery voltage ? with the ignition on are there any dash warning lights on ?

Topic author
shaz-99

Post by shaz-99 »

jimi wrote: 23/12/20 1:55 Is that connected to the car or disconnected ? With it connected and the ignition on what's the battery voltage ? with the ignition on are there any dash warning lights on ?
that was with it disconnected from the car, the car was completely dead, no lights at all, nothing

oVerboost.

Post by oVerboost. »

For what a battery costs these days, buy another one and test it. If it isn't the battery you can return it to Euro Car Parts etc anyway. Also check the ground wires are good, and all connected securely.

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by jeff »

shaz-99 wrote: 23/12/20 16:51
jimi wrote: 23/12/20 1:55 Is that connected to the car or disconnected ? With it connected and the ignition on what's the battery voltage ? with the ignition on are there any dash warning lights on ?
that was with it disconnected from the car, the car was completely dead, no lights at all, nothing
wonder why :facepalm:
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

jimi wrote: 21/12/20 14:30
Check KY2 for the location of the fusible link

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”