Rev 3 turbo 400hp goal

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SPARKY MR2

Rev 3 turbo 400hp goal

Post by SPARKY MR2 »

Evening all I am a new member. Ive had my Rev 3 about 13 years and have done the bolt on mods with a electronic boost controller. It made 297hp on the rollers last time. I am pulling out the engine soon to fit a cambelt kit and general engine tidy up. I am tempted to get a bit more hp out of her. What kind of bits would I need to achieve about 400 hp. Thanks in advance. Simon

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Rev 3 turbo 400hp goal

Post by MR2DI4 »

Massive amounts of work and money to get a genuine 400Hp.

Personally I would stay with the 300Hp, Mine is 225Hp and really they are just not made to handle that much anymore.

Looking forward to buying a new 400Hp Subaru WRX STi when its released. Designed from the ground up to handle it with 4 wheel drive.

Learned a few things about engineering over the years from working on my MR2 thats for sure.

Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Synz »

I’m no expert but I believe the Rev 3 is a good base due to having strong rods.

Really you’re looking at forged pistons, tubular race manifold, stage 2+ turbo, stand alone ECU, water to air or larger boot intercooler.

As MR2DI4 said though they were never designed with that sort of HP in mind.

I bought a Rev3 that was running 380-400hp before the owner had a front end bump, I’m actually looking to run it nearer 300-330 when I transplant it into my other shell. All the 2s I’ve seen running more than 350hp seem to be almost undrivable.
- MR2 Rev5 2.0 GTi TBar 2008 - 2011
- MR2 Rev5 Turbo GTS TBar 2020 - Present
- MR2 Rev3 Turbo GTS Donor car (RIP)
www.instagram.com/fuel_toyota
My Project thread

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yeah you can do what you like to the engine but the gearbox and complete drivetrain was never designed to run that sort of power. Basically you can do it but expect seriously decreased reliability, drivability and life expectancy of both the car..........and you.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”