Water ingress in the cockpit

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
rae finlayson

Water ingress in the cockpit

Post by rae finlayson »

After not using the car for a couple of months and it being parked outside I found the carpet behind the drivers seat is soaking. I have tried to find where it was getting in without success. I remember seeing on motoring show, maybe wheeler dealers, where they used smoke inside the car to trace a leak.
Does anyone have any idea how to go about this method? Is it just a case of putting a smoke bomb off inside or is it a special machine that is used?

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Water ingress in the cockpit

Post by peteV6R5 »

bet its the rear quarter window leaking, very prone to leak after few years. the roof drains via that route.
need to take window out and reseal it but be very very careful. so easy to bust the glass or sheer one of the 3 holding bolts.

best way to find it is take the internal trim off and look for water marks.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”