Brake Pads Selection/Experienced Advise

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Voivod
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 3

Brake Pads Selection/Experienced Advise

Post by Voivod »

I'm about to replace my brakes shortly,front and rear. I've used green stuff 2000 series which is just ok compare to stock. Also used Redstuff but I didn't feel much difference compare to greens apart from the price. Now I'm looking for a Yellow Stuff 4000 series pads and I wonder if anyone used them and can provide the feedback. It will cost me around £180 for a full set

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Brake Pads Selection/Experienced Advise

Post by peteV6R5 »

red stuff delaminated om track day (more than 1 2 on same day as well)
went for yellow after. very good but very dirty wheels with yellow stuff
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

peteV6R5 wrote: 28/02/21 23:43 red stuff delaminated om track day (more than 1 2 on same day as well)
went for yellow after. very good but very dirty wheels with yellow stuff
Thanks for you replay and sharing your experience. :th: I'll get yellow stuff to try. In my experience the GreenStuff 2000 series was OK for spirited driving as long as you don't use you brake very often...they have tendency to fade quickly on a twisty road and you can smell pads burning. Redstuff is OK too but is quite noisy especially in the wet.

TonyleFrog
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by TonyleFrog »

I use Carbotech AX6. Never had any fade ever with fast road driving (including Wales/Scotland mountain roads) or the occasional track day (I'm a novice and do them purely for enjoyment not setting hot lap times!). The only downside is the same as peteV6R5 has with EBC Yellowstuff. Brake dust and frequent wheel cleaning. Plus they are not cheap. They cost less than bent bodywork/damaged suspension though...

Alternatively, Porterfield R4-S (not used them myself) - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/41/164777.html
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

TonyleFrog wrote: 01/03/21 5:11 I use Carbotech AX6. Never had any fade ever with fast road driving (including Wales/Scotland mountain roads) or the occasional track day (I'm a novice and do them purely for enjoyment not setting hot lap times!). The only downside is the same as peteV6R5 has with EBC Yellowstuff. Brake dust and frequent wheel cleaning. Plus they are not cheap. They cost less than bent bodywork/damaged suspension though...

Alternatively, Porterfield R4-S (not used them myself) - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/41/164777.html
I've heard the name before but never try them yet on any car. I guess they quite expensive just for the front?
I'm not that bother about the dust as much and disks life as from now on I'll fit new disks with every pad change. In my tests I've found that you just can't beat new disks and pads and their brake performance compare to if you just change the pads and fit them to old disks.

Thanks for your advise! :th:

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

TonyleFrog wrote: 01/03/21 5:11 They cost less than bent bodywork/damaged suspension though...

Yeah definitely less same..applies to tyres selection :laughing

nick

Post by nick »

Another vote for yellow stuff on my track used car

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

TonyleFrog wrote: 01/03/21 5:11 (I'm a novice ...................................................................)
:rofl: :rofl:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

TonyleFrog
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by TonyleFrog »

Voivod wrote: 01/03/21 11:21 I've heard the name before but never try them yet on any car. I guess they quite expensive just for the front?
You'll be looking at around the same price for each end as the total you mentioned earlier for a full set of Yellowstuff 4000. However, IIRC one end is around £20-£25 more than the other, but I can't remember which as I don't have the invoices to hand. Again IIRC, my last set of fronts were changed in the summer of 2018 and the rears around 12-13 months prior to that. Still got plenty of material left on both.

I never skimp on brakes or tyres. At the end of the day the cost differential is marginal. Certainly compared with what I spend on filling the fuel tank!
Voivod wrote: 01/03/21 11:21 I'm not that bother about the dust as much and disks life as from now on I'll fit new disks with every pad change. In my tests I've found that you just can't beat new disks and pads and their brake performance compare to if you just change the pads and fit them to old disks.
On a road (rather than track only) car the thing that most people forget to do is a regular complete change of brake fluid. It's hydroscopic (absorbs water) which drastically lowers the boiling point. Because the drop off in performance is so gradual over time it doesn't grab your attention. The refresh should be done more often than the need to replace discs/pads.
Voivod wrote: 01/03/21 11:21 Thanks for your advise! :th:
That's what this place is for. :)
jimi wrote: 01/03/21 11:53
TonyleFrog wrote: 01/03/21 5:11 (I'm a novice ...................................................................)
:rofl: :rofl:
I've done a grand total of 8 track days over in the last 7 years. Intermittently: some years I didn't do any at all. So, yes, I would definitely put myself in the novice class. It's nothing like driving on the road. Or forest rallies which I used to compete in many years ago.

I'm much more at home on rough/loose surfaces. :D
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17

Post by jimi »

I'm quite sure there's much of your varied driving experience that contributes to your level of novice being a fair bit above what most would call novice. If you catch my drift :laughing
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22

Post by MR2DI4 »

Tried custom made race pads years ago in Mintex M1144 but honestly a waste of money for the road. The stock Toyota pads are the best and they had fixed prices on pads over here and they were cheap. Not replaced a set for years so no idea what they cost now. Braking on the MR2 does require a noticeable increase in pedal pressure over something like I use as a daily now with 18inch wheels but what else would you expect.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 01/03/21 23:22 Tried custom made race pads years ago in Mintex M1144 but honestly a waste of money for the road. The stock Toyota pads are the best and they had fixed prices on pads over here and they were cheap. Not replaced a set for years so no idea what they cost now. Braking on the MR2 does require a noticeable increase in pedal pressure over something like I use as a daily now with 18inch wheels but what else would you expect.
I've tried Mintex M1144 on other car they were miles better then stock,however not the best pad for the money. Also it depends how you drive..I would set stock pads on fire pretty quickly :laughing

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

TonyleFrog wrote: 01/03/21 17:37
Voivod wrote: 01/03/21 11:21 I've heard the name before but never try them yet on any car. I guess they quite expensive just for the front?
You'll be looking at around the same price for each end as the total you mentioned earlier for a full set of Yellowstuff 4000. However, IIRC one end is around £20-£25 more than the other, but I can't remember which as I don't have the invoices to hand. Again IIRC, my last set of fronts were changed in the summer of 2018 and the rears around 12-13 months prior to that. Still got plenty of material left on both.
Actually I could get them cheaper..around £147 for a full set. The reason I've paid more because I wanted to make sure I've got latest pad as some sellers still sell the old stock.

Tempted to buy them at some point..https://www.rhdjapan.com/endless-brake- ... -sw20.html :laughing

mickybo

Post by mickybo »

I run stoptech and find them very good about £60 a set

Return to “MK2”