MR2 turbo rev 2 ecu

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 5 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: MR2 turbo rev 2 ecu

Post by MR2DI4 »

So still nobody has posted the Toyota part number of the affected ECU. No good just stating a REV version of the car, they probably had 20 versions of the ECU over the MR2 MKII production lifetime. They constantly change the internal board design and layout as well as capacitor brands and suppliers. As per my earlier posts, no issues with the two versions I have.

I'm not arguing the capacitors don't fail, its just there are different versions of the ECU that appear to not have that the issue.

So here we go for the 89661-17321

Micro Board. There is only 1 Electro on the whole board.

C500 100uF 10V

PSU & Driver board.

C002 47uF 63V
C004 10uF 50V
C102 100uF 10V
C103 220uF 10V
C810 10uF 50V

So from the picture its possible that either C004 or C810 can fail.

So its hard to tell from the picture but it definitely looks like different brand of capacitor (nichicon?) than mine which are <KMC> so like I was saying suppliers of parts change and you even get faulty parts in a batch run. I suspect there was a period there that capacitor manufacturers were trying a new electrolyte, guess what it didn't work out long term and it was clearly pretty corrosive and it leaked.

Had the electrolytic cap failed in its normal mode it would have dried out, this results in a lower capacitance. Due to the small size of it at 10uF I doubt your ECU would have even thrown an error code under those circumstances but what it did was leak and no doubt took out a copper track on the board and that will definitely cause a problem.

In any case it was just luck of the draw as to what production version of the ECU you ended up with. Clearly every ECU that was unlucky and fitted with that specific capacitor failed sooner or later.

New Zealand tended to get all the early versions of the MR2 like the 1989 and the 1990. It took a few years before the UK woke up and started importing them and outbidding us at auction because of your currency which was really strong back then. The ECU also has a date code printed on the side of it so maybe it was the slightly earlier versions that had no issues.

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

Sorry didn't realize you want part numbers. My ECU part number 89661-17380 and another from Rev3 89661-17460. Is that any help to you??

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 25/04/21 0:20 New Zealand tended to get all the early versions of the MR2 like the 1989 and the 1990. It took a few years before the UK woke up and started importing them and outbidding us at auction because of your currency which was really strong back then.
That's means that New Zealand got a sh :bleh: ty motors compare to UK :laughing Maybe the UK just been patiently waiting....? :laughing

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

The early imports were great at the time, bought my MR2 with only 64,000km on the clock. The prices started dropping quickly as the cars started flooding in. For a while they were up at NZ$17K

My first car would have been a Gen 1 RX7, I bought the service manual before i bought the car. Unfortunately they were bringing them in as "PARTS" to avoid the import duty and they were slid into shipping containers on their guts and I think the engine was separate ! They got reassembled and sold.

Got really close to getting the Honda CR-X Del-Sol but glad I passed on that as well.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 5 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”