Rev1 Rev2 3SGTE With Boost Control Settings From Rev3 3sgte

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Voivod
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 3

Rev1 Rev2 3SGTE With Boost Control Settings From Rev3 3sgte

Post by Voivod »

Is the anyone on here who's implemented Stock Boost Control Settings From Rev3 3sgte
on Rev1 Rev2 3SGTE ?

p.s Like they say..out of the box?? :laughing

MR2T_Jake
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Rev1 Rev2 3SGTE With Boost Control Settings From Rev3 3sgte

Post by MR2T_Jake »

I am pretty confused as to what you mean? You mean run higher boost through the Factory boost control (T-VSV)?

If so then no, this is controlled via the ECU telling the T-VSV to bleed air until 11ps ish for rev1/2 and 13psi for rev3+.

This would be a full engine management change. You can control the boost yourself by using a manual or electric boost controller.

I would suggest electric as it makes it super easy to adjust on the fly, something like a HKS EVC or a Greddy Profec will work well. Then you just disable the T-VSV and control boost yourself through the boost controller of your choice.

These engines run rich from standard, so it should be okay to add some boost, but being a rev1/2 you will hit your boost cut super quick, pretty sure its 12 or 13psi on them and 16psi on the rev3+
I can't figure out how to put in an image here, so this is my cry for help. :confused1:

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2T_Jake wrote: 06/05/21 15:43 I am pretty confused as to what you mean? You mean run higher boost through the Factory boost control (T-VSV)?

Sorry I meant to say running Rev3 boost control valve or T-VSV respectively on Rev1 Or Rev2 with other mods. :D
MR2T_Jake wrote: 06/05/21 15:43
If so then no, this is controlled via the ECU telling the T-VSV to bleed air until 11ps ish for rev1/2 and 13psi for rev3+.

Yes I know that is controlled by ECU depending on different outputs or parameters..But that's not The Case as is doesn't tell to any sensors to bleed the air untill 11psi or whatever! Firstly is not 11psi for the Rev2 that's for sure! Anything that close to 10psi will cause problem if tps is functional :laughing

MR2T_Jake wrote: 06/05/21 15:43
This would be a full engine management change. You can control the boost yourself by using a manual or electric boost controller.

Luckyly there are other options to control the boost for less then £20 and you can do it yourself! No need for manual or electronic..is implemented to work with factory Rev1 or Rev2 or Rev3 and much more stable then any EBC :laughing
MR2T_Jake wrote: 06/05/21 15:43 I would suggest electric as it makes it super easy to adjust on the fly, something like a HKS EVC or a Greddy Profec will work well. Then you just disable the T-VSV and control boost yourself through the boost controller of your choice.

In real world is doesn't looks like..Ok some people would argue...Oh I can have 2 boost setting..or I can adjust the boost while driving or etc..

Apparently there a numbers of different people out there..who's want run just 15psi or 20psi or 25psi all of that is simply achievable with stock Rev1 Rev2 or Rev3 boost control solenoid(Valve)
MR2T_Jake wrote: 06/05/21 15:43 These engines run rich from standard, so it should be okay to add some boost, but being a rev1/2 you will hit your boost cut super quick, pretty sure its 12 or 13psi on them and 16psi on the rev3+

Yeah but that's because there are 25 years old plus..also on Rev1 or Rev2 you don't need to worry about boost cut too much..:rofl:

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Rev 1 hits fuel cut at 13psi or 3.2V from the TPS from memory. The choice is either pull the vac hose or do what I did and design and build a decent FCD.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 08/05/21 5:51 Rev 1 hits fuel cut at 13psi or 3.2V from the TSP from memory. The choice is either pull the vac hose or do what I did and design and build a decent FCD.
Mine was cutting out at around 10psi according to the gauge..also my gauge reads 1psi more according to the dyno pressure sensor. Since I've put the car on the road in early 2019 it was running 15,16 17,18 and up to 23 psi with TPS vac hose still connected and I never hit any fuel cut..been running like that for more then a year. Then in summer of 2020 one day the car hit the boost cut and brought the fault code over boosting.Since then my vac line to TPS is disconnected..

I've been researching quite a lot because there lot's of conflicting information..some say's on Rev2 fuel cut about 9psi others say more..(in my case is between 9 and 10 psi)some folks saying that there is some magic ECU's that run higher boost settings from the factory there is actually old tread somewhere on this forum.

I would bet that simple explanation would be that my TPS didn't work and that's why I've been running higher boost level.

p.s There is no point to spend money on FCD on Rev1 or Rev2 just disconnect the vac hose and it will do same job. :laughing

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Well yes to the driver just pulling the vacuum hose is doing the same job but it's not doing the same job anymore for the ECU. I preferred to have the right signal going into the ECU and then just clamp the Voltage at the highest level possible without fuel cut which was13psi. Couldn't find a decent one on the market and so I built one. it also incorporated the IC boost controlled switch for the fans with a few extra components. After mapping the output Voltage vs pressure from the TPS I was surprised how linear it was and I thought it was far more accurate than it needed to be for just the cut and a pretty vague stock boost gauge.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 09/05/21 5:26 Well yes to the driver just pulling the vacuum hose is doing the same job but it's not doing the same job anymore for the ECU. I preferred to have the right signal going into the ECU and then just clamp the Voltage at the highest level possible without fuel cut which was13psi. Couldn't find a decent one on the market and so I built one. it also incorporated the IC boost controlled switch for the fans with a few extra components. After mapping the output Voltage vs pressure from the TPS I was surprised how linear it was and I thought it was far more accurate than it needed to be for just the cut and a pretty vague stock boost gauge.
Yeah good point! However do we really know that ECU uses TPS for something else or strictly for monitoring boost pressure and if it goes outside of manufacturer parameter then it cuts the fuel to protect the engine or just stops it from over boosting? Or ECU uses TPS for adjusting the fueling?And if vac hose disconnected then why ECU not throwing out the fault code?

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Nobody knows for sure if the TPS signal is used for anything else inside the ECU. You do not get a error code as your just left measuring atmospheric pressure or 0 psi as far as the ECU is concerned. The TPS measures both vac and boost pressure. I needed the TPS working as the boost gauge I made uses that signal.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 09/05/21 23:55 Nobody knows for sure if the TPS signal is used for anything else inside the ECU. You do not get a error code as your just left measuring atmospheric pressure or 0 psi as far as the ECU is concerned. The TPS measures both vac and boost pressure. I needed the TPS working as the boost gauge I made uses that signal.

Yeah you right! I completely forgot that TPS is used for stock boost gauge readings too:facepalm: When I've put the car on the road it would hit fuel cut at just when speedo reads 180kmh and I new that is the speed cut. At the same time I fitted kmh to mph converter and automatic speed fuel cut delete and fitted aftermarket boost gauge. After I've been running about 16 to 17psi with aftermarket downpipe depending how you floor it and I never hit any fuel cuts after all. So I'm assume my TPS would function for the boost gauge but not for over boost. It's very strange..but I would say that MR2's in my experience are bags of tricks :laughing

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

TPS is definitely for the stock boost gauge and the fuel cut for overboost. Stock boost gauge works much better when you up the boost. The TPS keeps putting out a change in Voltage right up to 17.5psi at which point it hits its 5Volt supply. Stock boost gauge needle bounces off the top of the gauge at 17psi.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 10/05/21 2:47 Stock boost gauge works much better when you up the boost.
That's strange way to describe how stock boost gauge works.. :laughing Is ether working or not..accurate or not accurate.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

nothing to do with accuracy it has no numbers on it. More boost means the needle now reaches the top of the guage so yes it really let you know your hitting full boost. People always complain the stock guage is useless but it not its nothing more than an indicator. You should be using the AFR to set the level of boost not a boost guage even if it was accurate.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 11/05/21 23:10 nothing to do with accuracy it has no numbers on it. More boost means the needle now reaches the top of the guage so yes it really let you know your hitting full boost. People always complain the stock guage is useless but it not its nothing more than an indicator. You should be using the AFR to set the level of boost not a boost guage even if it was accurate.
Yeah I know that ..you don't have to explain me! :laughing Toyota used stock boost gauge in other cars..Supra 7mgte and even highlux.. :rofl: highlux was slightly different compare to MR2 and Supra but that's not the point.

Stock 3sgte and 7mgte will hit right to the top on stock boost levels ..never mind 15psi. Honestly I'm completely lost of what you're talking about... ! :facepalm:

Yeah I know that plenty of people will slagging stock boost gauge...my replay was always as..If you don't like it buy an aftermarket one... :th:

p.s Now from boost gauges we're jumped to AFR gauges?????
Last edited by Voivod on 12/05/21 0:05, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 11/05/21 23:10 You should be using the AFR to set the level of boost not a boost gauge even if it was accurate.
Forgot to ask in my last replay..is the AFR gauges are accurate??

Return to “MK2”