3SGtE Rev3 Inlet Camshaft And 3sge Rev2 N/A Exhaust Camshaft Combo

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Voivod
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 3

3SGtE Rev3 Inlet Camshaft And 3sge Rev2 N/A Exhaust Camshaft Combo

Post by Voivod »

3Sgte Rev3 Inlet Camshaft And 3sge Rev2 N/A Exhaust Camshaft Combo???

Anyone??

MR2T_Jake
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: 3SGtE Rev3 Inlet Camshaft And 3sge Rev2 N/A Exhaust Camshaft Combo

Post by MR2T_Jake »

I had some sort of this, except both cams were from 2 different gen 3s-ge. Personally find no difference after going back to oem gen 2 cams i must admit.
I can't figure out how to put in an image here, so this is my cry for help. :confused1:

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2T_Jake wrote: 12/05/21 9:29 I had some sort of this, except both cams were from 2 different gen 3s-ge. Personally find no difference after going back to oem gen 2 cams i must admit.
That's interesting.. is it on Rev2 or Rev3 you've tried them and what turbo? Thanks

MR2T_Jake

Post by MR2T_Jake »

Gen2 engine with Rev3 engine management and a CT20 turbo,

Gains are probably there if you was to dyno and see. But from sitting in the car and driving i notice not significant difference.
I can't figure out how to put in an image here, so this is my cry for help. :confused1:

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2T_Jake wrote: 12/05/21 14:25 Gen2 engine with Rev3 engine management and a CT20 turbo,

Gains are probably there if you was to dyno and see. But from sitting in the car and driving i notice not significant difference.

Ok ,thanks for sharing your experience much appreciated :th:

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

You need some pretty big gains to notice them from the drivers seat. Mods on mine picked up 25kW and couldn't tell the difference. I recon you need something like a 50% gain or another 100Hp before you go wow.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 12/05/21 23:51 You need some pretty big gains to notice them from the drivers seat. Mods on mine picked up 25kW and couldn't tell the difference. I recon you need something like a 50% gain or another 100Hp before you go wow.
Not necessarily! From what I remember...back in the days me and my friend imported stock Toyota Supra 2jzgte. It would pull up to 120mph quite hard but then slowly trails away. Then we fit HKS camshafts..can't remember exactly but something like 256 and 264 and we have noticed the difference straight away...it would pull strong even after 140mph all the way. Funny 3sgte camshafts whatever is Rev2 or Rev3 is mainly for a mid range. I would assume 256 inlet and 244 exhaust makes significant difference in upper Rev range..but I could be wrong :rofl:

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 12/05/21 23:51 Mods on mine picked up 25kW and couldn't tell the difference.
That's strange..?? Is it at 15psi or 17 psi? I definitely feel the deference between 14 and 17 psi..you don't need the dyno ether. :D

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Nah you need serious gains to notice a difference.

The best example for me was going from a single engine KT100 Kart to a twin with two KT100 engines.

The difference was wow despite the weight increase. The engines assisted one another with the limited fixed gearing so the top end speed increased dramatically from about 90km/hr to 120km/hr, there was no bogging down in corners anymore and the acceleration went through the roof.

Have driven cars with more power than the MR2 and they felt no different. Cannot wait for the new Subaru STi to come out, will write up a road test comparison between what 400Hp and 225Hp feels like.

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if I cannot tell the difference :laughing

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 13/05/21 1:21 Nah you need serious gains to notice a difference.
Well..that's not entirely true:rofl:
MR2DI4 wrote: 13/05/21 1:21 Have driven cars with more power than the MR2 and they felt no different. Cannot wait for the new Subaru STi to come out, will write up a road test comparison between what 400Hp and 225Hp feels like.
What??? :confused1: :shocked: I don't know what you've been driving but I can tell for sure you Don't have a Single Scooby Doo! This is most of Ridiculous statement I've ever heard!

By the time you are waiting for your Subaru sti to come out.. I'll be pis**g all over you on ma 2.0 4g63 N/A converted to 2.3 turbo which is work in progress..for a fraction of cost :laughing :laughing :laughing :rofl:

Please save your time for yourself and others...400hp from 2.4 and 225 hp from 2.0l from early 1990's :confused1: and tell the difference :rofl: or even 300hp if I wanted too from a 2.0l get real mate!

p.s Could we please stop this Subaru..Tractor with body kit syndrome.."censored" engines..etc. If you want me to drive the Subaru's you've to pay me..that's how they are good! Subaru targeted AMG.. :rofl: No F chance :laughing
Last edited by Voivod on 13/05/21 2:14, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 13/05/21 1:21 Cannot wait for the new Subaru STi to come out, will write up a road test comparison between what 400Hp and 225Hp feels like.
New Subaru STi are crap if you look at the reviews :laughing they can't do even proper launch..you'll be better off with Ford Focus RS.. rather then relaying on engine from ww2 German motor bike wise :laughing

p.s The only good thing I can say about Subaru's is doing the clutch..but then again is a pull type and if you not manage to clamp the pressure plate..then gearbox out :rofl: Idiotic idea....

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 13/05/21 1:21 Nah you need serious gains to notice a difference.The best example for me was going from a single engine KT100 Kart to a twin with two KT100 engines.

Wow that's some serious jump..I'll bet if go from double to quadruple engines then is even better :rofl:

Return to “MK2”