Constant Ticking before trying to fire engine

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
GraemeC

Constant Ticking before trying to fire engine

Post by GraemeC »

Hi,

my son and I picked up a 1990 G-Limited Mk2 a while back. Was an old barn find that hasnt run for over a decade. First thing we noted was the fuel pump was dead, so removed the tank and replaced it. New one works fine. We also took the inlet gubbins and fuel rail off to clean the injectors. We finally got it all back together today and when putting the key to the ON position, before trying to fire the engine, there is a loud and constant rapid ticking noise coming from what seems to be the fuel rail/injectors (although I cant be sure of this) - if I remove the plugs there is a spark and a smell of fuel, so presumably fuel is getting to the rail/injectors but when you do try and fire up the engine it just turns over with no real inclination to fire.

I thought it could be a problem with one of the ground wires not re-attached properly but have checked all of them and they all appear OK.

Any thoughts ore help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Graeme.

Topic author
GraemeC

Re: Constant Ticking before trying to fire engine

Post by GraemeC »

Update to this - turns out its nothing to do with the fuel rail or injectors! Stripped back the inlet manifold and the constant ticking is coming from the ACIS vacuum tank bolted to the inlet manifold. Presumably I reconnected the vacuum pipes incorrectly or there is a blockage somewhere. If any has a diagram of the vacuum pipe order that would be fantastic.

However I did crack open the fuel pipe to the fuel rail to check on fuel - and nothing. The fuel pump is working (connected FP and B+) but is just blowing out air - no fuel. WHen I put the fuel tank back in I added a gallon of fuel - surely thats enough for the fuel pump to sitting in fuel and therefore pumping fuel to the fuel rail isnt it? Or am I being really stupid and I need to add a lot more fuel?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

This any use for the ACIS? https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk2/ ... ystem.html
If you tank was emptied I think I'd be adding more fuel first ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Thanks for the ACIS stuff - v helpful! I'll try more petrol tomorrow and see where we go!

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Thanks for the help so far. Here is a bit of an update. I've discovered the ticking noise isnt the fuel rail or injectors - its one of the solenoids attached to the vacuum tank bracket (green electrical connector) and the orange engine light on the dashboard ticks at the same time!

I've tested all the injectors for resistance - all fine. I've checked the wiring harness to the injectors and all getting 12 volts. I've also changed all the spark plugs but still absolutely NO SIGN of the car wanting to fire. It just cranks over.

I'm going to do a compression test later.

When I removed one of the new spark plugs there was pretty much no smell of petrol (even though I know fuel is being pumped to the fuel rail) - so could it be that the ECU isnt sending a signal to actually open the injectors and therefore they arent spraying fuel into the engine? Is there a way I can test that the injectors are getting the signal to open?? I know they're getting power but that doesnt necessarily mean that they're operating correctly. So how can I test that?

And what on earth is that ticking solenoid and warning light on the dash about!?

Deleted

Post by Deleted »

Did you check the timing belt?As you've mentioned that the car never ran for a long time and it's barn find.

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

I've not checked it yet - to be honest the view down the side of the block looks a little restricted so was building up to it! Is it possible to remove the upper timing belt cover and check the timing markings without removing the engine?

Deleted

Post by Deleted »

GraemeC wrote: 16/06/21 14:49 I've not checked it yet - to be honest the view down the side of the block looks a little restricted so was building up to it! Is it possible to remove the upper timing belt cover and check the timing markings without removing the engine?

You can replace or check T.belt without removing the engine. Also did you try to spay easy star in the intake to see if the car starts? It would tell you if you have a fueling issue or something else.

p.s Is the aftermarket alarm has been fitted to the car?

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

OK - so just tried easy start into the intake and car fires up - so obvs no fuel getting through the injectors. Yes - it does have an aftermarket alarm - its a pain in the butt as keeps immobilising. Do you think it might be something to do with the alarm system thats preventing the injectors operating??

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Could be as some alarms cut feed to the fuel pump
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Deleted

Post by Deleted »

GraemeC wrote: 17/06/21 20:15 OK - so just tried easy start into the intake and car fires up - so obvs no fuel getting through the injectors. Yes - it does have an aftermarket alarm - its a pain in the butt as keeps immobilising. Do you think it might be something to do with the alarm system thats preventing the injectors operating??
Yes it's highly likely. Check if the wires go to engine bay fuse box underneath. I would remove alarm completely and wiring everything back to original. Thanks

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Really quick update. I've not fully removed the Cobra alarm system, but I did try starting the car with the fuel pump bypass in place (FP - B+ ?) - pump definitely working and still no firing of the engine. Could there be a immobiliser type circuit on the alarm system preventing the injectors firing??

Deleted

Post by Deleted »

GraemeC wrote: 07/06/21 11:46 However I did crack open the fuel pipe to the fuel rail to check on fuel - and nothing. The fuel pump is working (connected FP and B+) but is just blowing out air - no fuel.
There should be 40psi of fuel pressure in the rail. Also have you changed fuel filter? Or removed the banjo bolt from the bottom of fuel filter and see if you got any fuel pressure.

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Thanks - yeah that lack of fuel was just me being stupid! I hadnt filled the tank enough for the pump to pump any fuel! It is now and there is pressure and fuel to the rail (brand new filter fitted too) - so at the moment I have fuel pressure, I have 12v to the injectors, the injectors have resistance, and the car fires using easy start direct to the intake - but wont even think of firing trying a normal start....

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”