3SGTE 3SGE Block Resleevig

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Voivod
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 3

3SGTE 3SGE Block Resleevig

Post by Voivod »

I wounder if anyone successfully resliveed 3S block with good results?

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: 3SGTE 3SGE Block Resleevig

Post by MR2DI4 »

Are you essentially talking about putting in a piston liner ?

I didn't think it was really possible in the 3SGTE because there is bugger all distance between the cylinders.

From what I have read in really high power builds you can actually get cracks between the cylinders.

Typically you can oversize the engine to 2.2 litres and that's about it.

You just bore the cast iron block to oversize pistons and problem solved. Not sure what the point of trying to resleeving it is unless your block totally is stuffed ? in which case buy a new block.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MR2DI4 wrote: 06/06/21 23:17 Are you essentially talking about putting in a piston liner ?

I didn't think it was really possible in the 3SGTE because there is bugger all distance between the cylinders
Yeah putting in a piston liner. I know that is not much space between the cylinders. The stock bore is 86mm roughly and 3 different sizes in cylinders. I want to reduce stock bore size to 85 mm to use different pistons and obviously to eliminate block cracking by fitting a liner for the future.
MR2DI4 wrote: 06/06/21 23:17 From what I have read in really high power builds you can actually get cracks between the cylinders.
Typically you can oversize the engine to 2.2 litres and that's about it.
I've heard that too and saw some pics also..it never happened to me yet and hopefully don't :laughing
MR2DI4 wrote: 06/06/21 23:17
You just bore the cast iron block to oversize pistons and problem solved. Not sure what the point of trying to resleeving it is unless your block totally is stuffed ? in which case buy a new block.
Yeah I know that and I've done plenty of them.. :laughing

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

I just don't think you have the "Meat" to play with between the cylinders. It would be pretty expensive and hard to find a decent machine shop to do it properly even if it was structurally possible. Its hard enough to get it re-bored correctly and honed as it is, let alone to get it sleeved.

SonicSW20
Answers: 1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

There's a good reason hardly anyone does this. As above, the bore spacing is too close for sleeving to be reliable. You have to remove too much material from the block which weakens the block, resulting in a sleeved block that is not significantly stronger than the original block.

I assume high power levels are your goal here if you're considering a sleeved block. Get a late (~1998+) 5SFE block and build a 5SGTE. The 5S block does not suffer from the cyl2/3 cracking issue, and all late S blocks resolve the cracking issue on the corner by the water pump. This combination is tried and tested.
MR2DI4 wrote: 06/06/21 23:17 Typically you can oversize the engine to 2.2 litres and that's about it.

I guess you mean bore and oversize pistons in the case of an ovalled bore or to rectify any bore damage? You can't bore out a 3S block to 2.2L, that would require a bore size of just over 90mm (4mm over stock) which just isn't possible on a 3S block. You can achieve it with a stroker kit, which is essentially what the 5S is - 87mmx91mm.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

SonicSW20 wrote: 07/06/21 14:55 There's a good reason hardly anyone does this. As above, the bore spacing is too close for sleeving to be reliable. You have to remove too much material from the block which weakens the block, resulting in a sleeved block that is not significantly stronger than the original block.

I assume high power levels are your goal here if you're considering a sleeved block. Get a late (~1998+) 5SFE block and build a 5SGTE. The 5S block does not suffer from the cyl2/3 cracking issue, and all late S blocks resolve the cracking issue on the corner by the water pump. This combination is tried and tested.

I'm not too sure about that to be honest. Obviously if you want to sleeve the block and retain stock 86mm then maybe yes. I want to downsize from 86mm to 85mm..the thinnest spacing is between cylinder 2 and 3 and about 7.8 or something.

It's not just high power levels or goals I'm after but long time reliability. Now the problem with 5sfe..you need to machine the crank to suit condrods,then you need remove a gear for balance shaft and balance crank shaft. Then you get zero choice for pistons wise.And after all of that you still left with cast iron block...which is highly likely to fail under high stress. Also I'm not worried about the cracking issue on the corner by the water pump on 3S because I don't use ARP studs.

Regarding the combination is tried and tested:laughing

There is a guy on the other forum in UK who build 5sgte and had problems with it and at the the end he said that in his experience 5sfe converted to 5sgte is not that that great as many gives them a credit or something like that..I'm sure I should have a saved link somewhere. Now that's interesting...

p.s Just now I'm playing with different setups..but want to build the ultimate one :laughing the best of the best from everything and everyone else :laughing

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Voivod wrote: 09/06/21 0:45

There is a guy on the other forum in UK who build 5sgte and had problems with it and at the the end he said that in his experience 5sfe converted to 5sgte is not that that great as many gives them a credit or something like that..I'm sure I should have a saved link somewhere. Now that's interesting...

p.s Just now I'm playing with different setups..but want to build the ultimate one :laughing the best of the best from everything and everyone else :laughing
One man having issues does not trump the plethora of successful high power 5SGTE builds around the world.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

SonicSW20 wrote: 09/06/21 9:48
Voivod wrote: 09/06/21 0:45

One man having issues does not trump the plethora of successful high power 5SGTE builds around the world.
Well it's not just a one.. I've been generous :laughing Also how much hassle involved to convert 5sfe to 5sgte vs sleeving 3sgte block?? I know as matter of fact that to converted 3sge to 3sgte it's like a spending a weekend at DisneyLand :laughing

p.s Maybe it depends on how they drive..?

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Voivod wrote: 10/06/21 23:58
Well it's not just a one.. I've been generous :laughing Also how much hassle involved to convert 5sfe to 5sgte vs sleeving 3sgte block?? I know as matter of fact that to converted 3sge to 3sgte it's like a spending a weekend at DisneyLand :laughing

If you're building an engine from scratch a 5SGTE isn't that much more work than a 3SGTE. The hardest part is finding a good 1998+ 5S block in the UK honestly. It is a matter of careful parts selection to make sure everything works together, and the parts you choose to use will determine what additional steps are needed.

The process is well documented on the internet with step by step guides and parts lists if you would like to learn more.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

SonicSW20 wrote: 11/06/21 10:11
Voivod wrote: 10/06/21 23:58

If you're building an engine from scratch a 5SGTE isn't that much more work than a 3SGTE. The hardest part is finding a good 1998+ 5S block in the UK honestly. It is a matter of careful parts selection to make sure everything works together, and the parts you choose to use will determine what additional steps are needed.

The process is well documented on the internet with step by step guides and parts lists if you would like to learn more.
If you convert 3SGE Rev1,2 and 3 to 33SGTE it's a piece of cake compare to 5sfe to 5sgte :D

Actually on Rev3 3SGE you can use N/A cylinder head and fuel rail which much better then stock 3SGTE Rev3 side feed rail and you've got lot's of injector choices. In photo 3SGE Rev3 with top feed injectors they low impedance too with better connectors from Renault Clio

From what I've read is a lot's of more work..enlarging coolant channels also 5SFE don't have oil squirters so need to machine them.. crankshaft and flywheel and and and.

I've priced brand new 5sfe 98+ block from Toyota and it was pretty good price..but they have been discontinued. I would by one just for a laugh.. :laughing

p.s As usual thanks for your time and your effort :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

As said, the work you need to do depends on your combination of block / head / parts, which is up to you to research. Not every combination requires modification to cooling channels.

There's good reason as to why you rarely see sleeved 3S blocks, and many people looking for high power outputs go for a 5S based build. You do what you want to do though, prove everyone wrong with a sleeved block if you think you can.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

SonicSW20 wrote: 11/06/21 14:40 As said, the work you need to do depends on your combination of block / head / parts, which is up to you to research. Not every combination requires modification to cooling channels.

There's good reason as to why you rarely see sleeved 3S blocks, and many people looking for high power outputs go for a 5S based build. You do what you want to do though, prove everyone wrong with a sleeved block if you think you can.
Look mate I appreciate your advice :th: But unfortunately..I'm not really interested in any 5sfe builds at the moment. Just now I'm 3sge 3sgte man :laughing

All I wanted to know if anyone sleeved the block in UK or abroad..whatever it was successful or not.

p.s I've got complete Rev3 brand new engine,loom,ecu..etc it's been sitting for over a year. I've could have just ditch Rev2 setup year ago or so..but I don't feel like I finished with Rev2 yet there a lot's of improvements to be made.

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting... yet no one has ever cloaked or asked the questions regarding 85mm pistons :annoyed: :shocked:

Topic author
Voivod

Post by Voivod »

This one will fit just nicely..85mm forged from Mahle 2618 alloy you wouldn't get any better and more then half a killo less weight :laughing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MK2”