Timing belt and water pump?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Hotrod

Timing belt and water pump?

Post by Hotrod »

Hey guy's, I've just been asking around about prices for a timing belt, I've had one come back saying £420 but including the water pump. Is this necessary, they said it is part of the kit, but I already have a timing belt?

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Timing belt and water pump?

Post by SonicSW20 »

It would be prudent to change it while you're doing the belt / tensioners as the pump is timing belt driven - you're already most of the way there to changing it.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Sounds a good price for a very labour intensive job and water pump is well worth doing at the same time .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

Yeah very good price. I'd like to know who is offering that. Probably not genuine parts. Andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

changing the water pump is total overkill on every belt change. The life of the pump is very dependent on the condition of your coolant. Never changed the pump in mine. Sure it could fail tomorrow but its done 240000km.

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 28/06/21 21:40 changing the water pump is total overkill on every belt change. The life of the pump is very dependent on the condition of your coolant. Never changed the pump in mine. Sure it could fail tomorrow but its done 240000km.
for the price of a pump it has to be worth it :confused1:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Depends more on are you using genuine parts or not. The Toyota pump can clearly do more than 100000km. You also need to change it properly or you end up with leaks. Mine wasn't leaking and the bearings felt fine so I didn't change it. Changed the idler bearing however that needs doing every second belt change.

If your paying someone else to do it you will not get a choice anyway they will replace it.

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 28/06/21 21:54 for the price of a pump it has to be worth it :confused1:

It depends on what make of water pump! Not all water pump equal..

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

Hotrod wrote: 28/06/21 19:15 Hey guy's, I've just been asking around about prices for a timing belt, I've had one come back saying £420 but including the water pump. Is this necessary, they said it is part of the kit, but I already have a timing belt?
What make? Toyota doesn't sell it as a kit and it must be aftermarket! Also £420 fitted or just for parts and plus anti freeze?

Topic author
Hotrod

Post by Hotrod »

Voivod wrote: 29/06/21 2:12
Hotrod wrote: 28/06/21 19:15 Hey guy's, I've just been asking around about prices for a timing belt, I've had one come back saying £420 but including the water pump. Is this necessary, they said it is part of the kit, but I already have a timing belt?
What make? Toyota doesn't sell it as a kit and it must be aftermarket! Also £420 fitted or just for parts and plus anti freeze?
I didn't ask what make, assumption would be aftermarket?
I asked for a quote for timing belt change, they came back to me saying water pump as well, when questioned they said it's part of the kit.
It's an estimate , I would of thought based on hourly rate?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”