Accelerator problem

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
m122794
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Accelerator problem

Post by m122794 »

Just had a really scary moment in town today! After accelerating from a standstill, the engine wouldn't drop below 3500 rpm and I had to turn off the ignition to avoid hitting something :shocked: . Turned out that the little bit of rubber keeping moisture out of the accelerator cable had perished off of its mounting and had travelled down the cable to get caught between the cable and the actuator on the butterfly arm.

Might be worth checking yours is still intact!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Re: Accelerator problem

Post by jimi »

Scary, happened to me once in a mini, heading down a dual carriageway towards a busy roundabout at over 70mph, lifted off and nothing happened, kept accelerating. Had to do the same engine off and brake like a bas******both feet on the pedal, managed to get round the roundabout and stopped 50 yards up the road. Clean pants time :rofl:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Re: Accelerator problem

Post by MR2DI4 »

I replaced my throttle cable inner years ago as some of the strands had worn through and let go so this is pretty dangerous as they can snag the outer exactly the same way as your rear hand brake cables snag and seize.

required some custom made cable ends to be made on the lathe and I used heatsrink over both the old and new cable to pull it through. Upgraded the inner to a finer more flexible stainless steel cable.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”