MK2 MR2 misfiring 3sge 1996

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Adamtjdm

MK2 MR2 misfiring 3sge 1996

Post by Adamtjdm »

Please can anyone help me fix my mr2
Basically long story short

I drove home and parked on a very slight inclimb rev was switching around 1.1k-800rpm this stayed for few days on flat surface it stopped

4 days later I did it again on flat time
250-600rpm but at full throttle was fine

Later that day started to smoke black and stall as was idling all over the place still was drivable home though

Next day started and straight away was running on 3 cylinders and alot of black smoke and was undrivable no power.

So I checked timing seems OK
Spark plugs all 4 was very black but spark when tested with ht leads
So ht leads also OK
Compression test was good

The misfire was able to locate cylinder 1 was misfiring so I swapped the injectors and spark plug from cylinder 2 and tried again still misfiring.....

I have a o2 sensor on the way now

What else could it be honestly

adenbakker
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: MK2 MR2 misfiring 3sge 1996

Post by adenbakker »

Please let me know if you find out, I have the same issue! (although not did any work to locate the misfire to a certain cylinder). In my case this also aoccured spontaneously after reattaching the rear exhaust muffler.

Topic author
Adamtjdm

Post by Adamtjdm »

Yes same mine actually started doing it spontaneously after re attaching the muffler

MR2T_Jake
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2T_Jake »

Likely culprit o2 sensor, other possible cause could be spark not coming from the distributor to that specific cylinder.
I can't figure out how to put in an image here, so this is my cry for help. :confused1:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”