what should I do while my Engine is out

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Padraig 04
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

what should I do while my Engine is out

Post by Padraig 04 »

Hi all,
I have decided to pull the engine myself as my clutch has completely given up on me :crybaby: not that it was ever working to be honest (throwout bearing last worked when it rolled off the delivery lorry 2 years ago lol) . I already plan on changing the timing belt, water pump and all the vacuum lines but I want to change anything that should be done while its out. For context the engine is on 180,000Miles. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edit : The engine is a 3SGE ,Gen 3 I believe
Last edited by Padraig 04 on 11/01/22 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: what should I do while my Engine is out

Post by benckj »

Not sure what engine model you have but would change the cam belt, tensioner, idler, WP and oil pump o ring & shaft seal plus any oil seals which appear to be weeping.
Good time to also do any exhaust/turbo upgrades plus trans oil, axle seals and shift linkages. I also replaced the alternator and drive belts as it’s a royal pain to do with engine in place. Vacuum hoses can wait or easily be done later.

Jimb

Topic author
Padraig 04
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Padraig 04 »

My engine is a 3SGE. I just thought vacuum lines would be a good thing to do while its out of the car most rubber is pretty perished on it. Thanks :)

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Ok being non-turbo it’s easier to access engine components when installed. I’d concentrate on the cam belt area and engine oil seals. If it’s a Gen 2 I’d consider pulling head and replacing valve stem seals as these seem to go first. Get head rebuilt and install decent HG such as supplied on Gen 3.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”