Costing replacing diff

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
JSwaMR2

Costing replacing diff

Post by JSwaMR2 »

Looking at getting mr2 sw20. In great nick but for whatever reason it's had the diff welded for the last 4k miles (year-ish). stay away or look to replace diff? how difficult to find open diff and labour cost.. aware it requires trans disassembly. thanks for any advice

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Costing replacing diff

Post by jimi »

Your best bet is going to be one of the MR2 breakers or eBay. I've seen a couple of complete gearboxes on the Bay for under £200.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
JSwaMR2

Post by JSwaMR2 »

jimi wrote: 22/05/22 0:38 Your best bet is going to be one of the MR2 breakers or eBay. I've seen a couple of complete gearboxes on the Bay for under £200.
That's what I'm looking at doing right now cheers. Any advice on what to look out for damage wise if someones put 4k miles on it with the diff welded? Everything about the vehicle checks out really except for the decision to do that with it.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

The only experience I have with welded diffs was on F2 stock cars, the boxes seemed to stand up to it but did get a bit noisy, can't think of any way of being sure other than stripping the gearbox and checking for damage or actually driving the car with an open diff fitted and see what happens.
LSD's were an option for MK2's so the gearbox is quite robust and MAY have escaped damage. If you can pick up a complete gearbox for reasonable money it might be better/easier just to change the complete thing and then check out the removed gearbox at your leisure.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”