Help?! with SMT

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

DANMR2SMT

Re: Help?!

Post by DANMR2SMT »

Its funny how things circle around...I was looking for help again with my SMT....yes i still have it!

2003 with 50k miles!

Having trouble with the revs dropping when engaging 1st and taking my foot off the break...same as reverse... then its thdding in 2nd/3rd a bit...

I've changed the SMT fluid....oh that was fun! (its housed under the airfilter - I changed that as well whilst there) ....

Taken it for a run...still doing the same... I've read up as i heard there are clutch relearns...

1. TCU relearn. Which is apparently needed after replacing the GSA, HPU, sensors, or any integral part of the transmission. It involves a scan tool and the TCU shifts into all gears figuring the whole thing out.

I can't find out much more or what kit is needed - If any member has this software....please can you give me some tips on where i can get it from?! (I'll love you forever!)

2. friction point relearn. Apprently a much simpler process. "Find a long stretch of straight road without stop signs. In 1st, get up to speed, fast enough to shift directly to 3rd. In 3rd, accelerate above 3000rpm. Release pedals and coast to a stop, or below 2K rpm (not sure, I seen both). Repeat this process 3 to 5 times"

I can try this later BUT I'm pretty sure if anything its option one i need.

Again no fault codes on the ECU.... but guessing this would show on TCU and unsure if that registers codes on a handheld OBD?...

DANMR2SMT

Post by DANMR2SMT »

I spoke to Toyota at Woodford about it....they won;t do the clutch relearn "due to past issues with this" and suggested a new clutch assembly....awaiting the quote...

DANMR2SMT

Post by DANMR2SMT »

Quote in "without looking at it, it would be £1395+vat"..... wow....just wow...

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

DANMR2SMT

Post by DANMR2SMT »

Thanks, Jimi that's a useful link, i think I'm at the end of my abilities with it now. Need a professional...just one that can actually try a fault fix rather than rip it all out and overcharge.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

The Spyderchat SMT forum might be worth a read (if you haven't already been there ) https://www.spyderchat.com/forums/smt.30/

DANMR2SMT

Post by DANMR2SMT »

Thanks again Jimi

I've read some many things now next step is to find someone that can help that has a techstream and knows the relearn process i think!

I read "that early 2003 SMTs may have a faulty TCU. Toyota only changed it under warranty if the owner complained of hard shifting. I ordered the replacement TCU and had Toyota install it and do a re-learn and all has been fine since.

I tried all the suggested re-learn option provied by other. Apparently the early 2003 SMTs will only do a re-learn using the techstream software"

DANMR2SMT

Post by DANMR2SMT »

So if anyone has the software and has succesfully completed a relearn process....please let me know... i'll love you forever, really want to get her back on the road safely!

DANMR2SMT

Post by DANMR2SMT »

Jimi...Just to close this thread....

I tried the manual clutch re-alignment process....it didn't work but had read it doesn't for cars my year/and or doesn't always work anyway.

I swerved the Woodford dealership after they flat refused to attempt the process with the computer and would just replace the clutch and wanted to charge over £1600!

So I bit the bullet, booked it into Toyota at Bishop Stortford. As soon as I spoke to the technician there my fears of main dealerships were changed. He knew the clutch realignment process and after an hour and £65 later had reset it and its now purring back on the road!

So in summary, If you see these symptoms don't listen to the first person that wants to rip the clutch out etc!

If anyone locally has an MR2 SMT....take it to Toyota Bishop Stortford, a real life actual main dealership that don't rip you off! and technicians that actually love and know about the MR2 SMT.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Excellent, that's a great result :th: glad you got it sorted out cheaply and easily :cool1:

Wilkie Senior
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Help?! with SMT

Post by Wilkie Senior »

what a trial, glad you got it sorted, i would be to let Mr T at HQ know about the great service and name the tech who sorted it, that will keep you in the good books with that dealership
"That's a Negative Jim..I Do Not Have The Measles!"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”