Changing the soft top from plastic to mohair !

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Changing the soft top from plastic to mohair !

Post by carolineasb »

Mostly changing a failing roof for a reasonably priced one rather than the OEM which, I think, is over £1k brand new and only available in black or, I presume, red for the Red Edition.

Some people also want the change of colour for appearance reasons.

Topic author
mvv

Post by mvv »

Thanks very helpful Caroline. Mine is in good nick and I plan to keep it like that.

Topic author
Eyebee

Post by Eyebee »

Had a mohair roof fitted recently by Raymond and his son recently. These guys do an excellent job at a price you won,t beat any where else. I travelled from Ireland ,had a weekend in Swansea and still saved a few quid. Speaks for itself .

Torero
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Torero »

Eyebee wrote: 20/09/17 12:05 Had a mohair roof fitted recently by Raymond and his son recently. These guys do an excellent job at a price you won,t beat any where else. I travelled from Ireland ,had a weekend in Swansea and still saved a few quid. Speaks for itself .
Awesome, it seems like these guys have an excellent reputation, I've yet to hear of anybody that is anything less than 'delighted' with them.

Not forgetting that is sends lots of people to my home town :D

Torero
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by Torero »

mvv wrote: 13/08/17 21:03 Is this switch to mohair primarily a cosmetic move or are there any practical benefits?
carolineasb wrote: 13/08/17 21:53 Mostly changing a failing roof for a reasonably priced one rather than the OEM which, I think, is over £1k brand new and only available in black or, I presume, red for the Red Edition.

Some people also want the change of colour for appearance reasons.
:th:

There also seems to be an issue with the vinyl deteriorating/cracking over time particularly when kept outside or stored for long periods. They need more maintenance than the mohair which seems to need nothing more than the occasional jet wash and some spray to keep fungus and mould at bay.

BahnStormer
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by BahnStormer »

Eyebee wrote: 20/09/17 12:05 Had a mohair roof fitted recently by Raymond and his son recently. These guys do an excellent job at a price you won,t beat any where else. I travelled from Ireland ,had a weekend in Swansea and still saved a few quid. Speaks for itself .
So you were able to work in a late drop-off of Friday and early pick up on Monday? (or similar?)

I'm very tempted, but I'm watertight for now, but @ 10yrs old, the roof is looking a little tired... I just want to sort out a hardtop for winter first...
Sable'07:factory AC + heated seats, Pioneer TS-E171ci + MVH-390BT, Mohair hood, Yoko AD08R's.
Next:Supporting mods: Coilovers (MeisterR?) and polybush, 5x braces and braided lines.
Researching: Engine options

BahnStormer

Post by BahnStormer »

I'm tempted by the Cardiff option, but it's looking like it is going to cost me a couple of days off work and a weekend in Wales - not really a bad thing, but I'm not going to fit the missus and three kids in the MR2, so it's politically "awkward".

Has anybody tried these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-H ... SwEOxXPxqk

(or search eBay for "Toyota MR2 Hood in Mohair Original Style")

How good a fit would it be if not custom made for my car?

Would I be able to fit this myself? I don't have a garage, so this would need to be done on my drive.
Sable'07:factory AC + heated seats, Pioneer TS-E171ci + MVH-390BT, Mohair hood, Yoko AD08R's.
Next:Supporting mods: Coilovers (MeisterR?) and polybush, 5x braces and braided lines.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Many people have considered buying a top and fitting it themselves but the fact that buying the soft top alone costs more than the Swansea option and the fact that you may damage the top trying to fit it yourself, makes them opt for an overnighter in Swansea with Jack Smith's!

Also wondering if that top is in fact real mohair at £495? Swansea is not but at c.£300 supplied and fitted and being able to have a colour choice, it's the best option for most Mk3 owners!

Blueskinnedbeast
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Blueskinnedbeast »

carolineasb wrote: 11/11/17 10:01 Many people have considered buying a top and fitting it themselves but the fact that buying the soft top alone costs more than the Swansea option and the fact that you may damage the top trying to fit it yourself, makes them opt for an overnighter in Swansea with Jack Smith's!

Also wondering if that top is in fact real mohair at £495? Swansea is not but at c.£300 supplied and fitted and being able to have a colour choice, it's the best option for most Mk3 owners!
Most people think Raymond`s discussions are worth the price and the new soft top is a bonus.

BahnStormer

Post by BahnStormer »

I thought they'd closed Facebook says "permanently closed"... but I think that is more in reference to their Facebook status - i.e. they are just trying to dissuade people from using Facebook to message them.

https://www.facebook.com/JackRSmithMotorTrimmers/

Blueskinnedbeast
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Blueskinnedbeast »

Ray`s not a FB or internet kind of guy.
He`s oldstyle word of mouth and just does a damn good job.

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

BahnStormer wrote: 10/11/17 10:20 I'm tempted by the Cardiff option, but it's looking like it is going to cost me a couple of days off work and a weekend in Wales - not really a bad thing, but I'm not going to fit the missus and three kids in the MR2, so it's politically "awkward".

Has anybody tried these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-H ... SwEOxXPxqk

(or search eBay for "Toyota MR2 Hood in Mohair Original Style")

How good a fit would it be if not custom made for my car?

Would I be able to fit this myself? I don't have a garage, so this would need to be done on my drive.
I bought a Monsoon hood and fit it myself. Bit of a faff but did it in the end. Think I've fitted three now. My black one twice and my blue one once. I'd deffo recommend the Jack Smith option first but DIY is the next best option. If you get stuck just post up pics and we'll help. Andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
Colinjb84

Post by Colinjb84 »

Just booked my MR2 in at Jack R Smith's in late June, really looking forward to seeing how they do.

£300 quoted. Fingers crossed.

BahnStormer

Post by BahnStormer »

Yes, a good quality mohair will apparently last longer and doesn't need to be treated every year.... the Robbins ones just need to be washed with regular (non-wax) shampoo and then brushed every few weeks to ensure nothing gets caked into them. They also seem to fold a LOT more smoothly!

I didn't go with the Swansea option - I couldn't take time off work to get it done, so I went with CarhoodWarehouse in Sevenoaks (£795). Not cheap, but it is nice!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”