Brakes / Tires / Fluids

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Mr.Mr2006

Brakes / Tires / Fluids

Post by Mr.Mr2006 »

Hi, New to the forum !
I have just bought a 2006 MR2 50,000miles,
I it will need a bit of work done to it. first off are the brakes, and tires, service etc.
As for brakes I am intending to use the car on occasional track days, the car needs a new set of pads and discs.
My problem arises which to get, what brand do you guys recommend ? I was thinking of EBC but heard mixed storys about them, Tarox is too expensive for a student like me, was thinking of something like stop tech?

Secondly the car is fitted with some "censored" winter tires at front and dunlop sp sport 01 all seasons at back, fitted to stock alloys. Do you recommend any tire model that has the same dimensions front and rear. because I am having a hard time finding one tire model that fits front and rear.

Thirdly does the soft top needs to be cleaned and protected? asking because my dads S2000 :D softop is different material and every 2 or 3 months we would clean and protect it with some AutoGlym kit.

In Toyota they told me to use 10w40 oil... bit strange for car which has 50,000miles. What do you recommend... thinking of getting Motul x-clean 5w30.

and lastly... In the owners manual it says to use Dot3 brake fluid...is it ok to use Dot 4?

This weekend I am having a look at the precats... I will probably gut them but do I need a new manifold gasket when doing this job?

I tried to close the top down and put it back up... it seems to be that the material is a bit stiff, and tips on how to get it closing/opening like a champ with one hand?

Thanks !

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Brakes / Tires / Fluids

Post by jimi »

The MK3 is supposed to have different sized tyres fitted front and back https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk3 ... kbartid=21 Changing that can have a very adverse affect on the handling.
Don't see anything strange about Mr T recommending a 10w40 oil, its commonly used in MR2 engines and I have a sneaking suspicion Mr T knows what he's talking about ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Mr.Mr2006

Post by Mr.Mr2006 »

Hi thanks,
Just ordered from demon tweeks,
NGK spark plugs
Motul X-clean 5w-30
K&N panel filter,
K&N oil filter,

Spoke today to Mr T about brakes... they quoted me 450 euro for front/rear discs and pads....
Was told that they use Dot 5.1 in all their cars, Which surprised me cuz I thought dot 5 is Race fluid hahaha

Anyway as for the brakes side... I read on celica forum that lads swap in Avensis brake calipers to their celicas... Anyone knows if the Avensis calipers fit stock 15 inch front alloys on our MRS?

Anyone is running toyosport exhaust manifold? what u think of it... there is a used one for 80 euro with o2 sensors.

thanks.
More questions to follow :)

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Dot 5 is the odd one out its silicon based, the others 3,4 & 5.1 are all gycol based, the main difference between them is the boiling point 5.1 having the highest. Worth mentioning that Dot 5 should never be mixed with any of the others, it's not compatible.
Mr T does know what he's talking about, worth listening to him ;)

https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/198/140503.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Mr.Mr2006

Post by Mr.Mr2006 »

Thanks Jimi,
today car is going on a hoist so I will see what need to be done to it.
Defiantly my handbrake is shot, dont know is it the cable or the calipers them-self.

Topic author
Mr.Mr2006

Post by Mr.Mr2006 »

Hi,
Quick update, The car looks pretty straight :) ( Nock on Wood ) but there's few stuff needed to be done,
The Pre-cat is starting to go... probable will just gut them out...
Rear brake calibers seem good but the hand brake cable is stiff so ordered both cables right and left from Toyota 160 Euro !!! F
Serpentine Belt ordered...
EBC Brake Kit front and Back ordered from Demontweeks Yellow Stuff and Ultimax rottors...
Fluids are on their way...

Still looking for that Front Right head lamp unit...

Thinking of Buying a set of coilovers as the genuine dampers are gone, What you think of BC?

More to come :)

mvv

Post by mvv »

Hi, what evidence do you have that your pre-cat is "starting to go"? I have done a fair bit of research and haven't fond 5-6 cars having pre-cat problems.

Topic author
Mr.Mr2006

Post by Mr.Mr2006 »

mvv wrote: 25/09/18 22:50 Hi, what evidence do you have that your pre-cat is "starting to go"? I have done a fair bit of research and haven't fond 5-6 cars having pre-cat problems.
I had my mechanic to have a look at them when we where checking out the car...
I could evidently see that the pre-cat matrix did not look super good....when comparing it to the photos that people took I could notice a big difference in matrix comb.
the matrix looked like it started to slowly melt on the top and cover up the matrix holes...

Just to be safe I will pull them out as I don't need them... :th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”