Hel brake lines

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andy2b

Hel brake lines

Post by andy2b »

Bleeding my brake lines after rear caliper refurbs and it is taking an age so I'm just checking that I'm not drawing in air from anywhere.
I have replaced brake lines with Hel braided and I have noticed that although everything is tightened up that (see pic) the shaft B still turns inside fitting A. Should it do this, please say yes, as both brake lines do it.
I'm using a Sealey vacuum tester and bleeding kit for the first time so maybe their not that quick or I'm just to impatient!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Hel brake lines

Post by jimi »

It's not clear from your pic what side is the hard line and what side is the hose, either way I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be turning.sounds like the 2 flares aren't mating properly.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
andy2b

Post by andy2b »

This is the actual rear brake line, part A is fixed in place once everything is tightened up. It goes into and is part of the braided line. Part B is fixed to the braided hose and it all rotates around part A, but should it?
Both hoses are like this so I was unsure if this was part of the design. I thought it unlikely that a company as big as Hel could sell two faulty hoses in the same box given their quality checks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snorkie
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Snorkie »

I'm not sure either, One way to test the joint would be to pump the brake pedal and see if fluid comes out the joint. If air can get in, then fluid under pressure will come out.

Vacuum bleeders are slow, you can pump the pedal while they are sucking, some times helps to get them going.

Check your bleed nipples are not blocked.

Topic author
andy2b

Post by andy2b »

Thanks for the replies, haven't finished bleeding brakes yet, work got in the way, but no signs of any leaking.
Reread the Sealey manual and found I'm only using half the vacuum/suction that I should be using, could possibly be the reason its so slow :)

m122794
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by m122794 »

Erm - what's that bit of tin doing over the original mount? My guess is that that's stopping the nut from fully tightening down onto the flare so you'll never get a seal

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”