Suspension dust boot cover

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
RafsMR2

Suspension dust boot cover

Post by RafsMR2 »

Hey guy’s, all the dust boot covers have broken up, should I replace them or is it ok to expose the suspension and not bother to replace them.

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Suspension dust boot cover

Post by Topdownman »

Most of the original front ones I have seen are in pieces anyway so not doing much protection after all these years.

I seem to remember hearing that fiesta dust boots fit and are cheaper but not sure how you could check that.

Because you have to strip the shocks down to fit its a lot of work just to replace the boots and you may find the top mounts are knackered if you disturb them. I personally would want to refresh the whole suspension if its still original and this should transform the handling but quite expensive.

Another option may be to see if coilover socks would fit as there would be no dismantling to fit these other than taking the wheels off?

Topic author
RafsMR2

Post by RafsMR2 »

I have purchased a set from mr2 Ben, I am changing the springs so they can fit the new boot covers then.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

In my view the dust covers do more harm than good. Most trap moisture & dirt from escaping. Best to leave off and clean away any dirt & grime with a hose.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”