Storing Car Over Winter Outside and service

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
M07775

Storing Car Over Winter Outside and service

Post by M07775 »

I have decided to take my MR2 off the road for a few months over winter from tomorrow, any tips on what I should do to my Mrs before it is goes to hibernate over winter.

Sadly I do not have a garage for her, was in my plans to get one but the plans fell through, on my to do list for next year.

When she wakes up next year I am planning April I will need to service it, had a full service this year and has only done 2500 miles, what needs doing or can I skip a year?

Edit: It has a hard top.
Last edited by M07775 on 02/12/18 1:31, edited 1 time in total.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Rest and service

Post by angpozzuto »

I only run my Mk1 over the summer months too and leave her outside over winter. I don’t do much with it, just add extra air to the tyres to prevent flat spots and plug in a trickle charger for the battery. I’ll usually start her up and get her up to temperature every month or so and thats about it
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

Topic author
M07775

Re: Rest and service

Post by M07775 »

Thanks, I plan to cover mine, bought a breathable cover but it has very few eyelets so need to put some in so I can secure it properly.

What trickle charger have you got?

Thinking of buying a solar one but was about to buy a 5W one and it was suggested it is not powerful enough for short winter days.

Do you disconnect the battery, read somewhere disconnecting the battery stops rust????

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Storing Car Over Winter Outside and service

Post by angpozzuto »

I’m using one of these to charge the battery CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger with...
I’ve never used a car cover as they can scratch the paint work if dirt or grit gets between the car and the cover
I’ve never heard of disconnecting the battery to prevent rust, sounds like bollox to me
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Storing Car Over Winter Outside and service

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

I’ve never used a car cover as they can scratch the paint work if dirt or grit gets between the car and the cover
Ha ha until your re - spray it wouldn't have done any damage :laughing

I’ve never heard of disconnecting the battery to prevent rust, sounds like bollox to me
[/quote]

Same as :th:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”