Engine - What is this?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Jamie2110

Engine - What is this?

Post by Jamie2110 »

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of an '04 MR2 and new to driving. Bikes have been my go to the last 10 years but after having a spill for the first time on black ice, I thought it may best to upgrade to 4 wheels, at least for the icy mornings. Picked up my MR2, and my first car, last night. Loving it so far.

Anyway to the point. I noticed a few things that need attention tonight. My wiper bottle is leaking, im assuming its frozen up. The timing belt is cracking, probably the original with 55k miles on the clock. I also have an oil leak from a small cover thats sits to the right of the exhaust manifold. Was hoping someone could explain what it is?

I know my bikes inside out but dont have much experience with cars. It is held on by 2 bolts, dont know wether its some sort of inspection cover for the cam chain. I'll try attach a pic.

Cheers
Jamie
Attachments
TOY-1ZZFE-C-ULM-mwr.jpg

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Engine - What is this?

Post by vinp182 »

There’s a small seal behind that cover that is a common issue, it’s easy enough to change

The belt is just an aux belt the timing has a chain
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Jamie2110

Re: Engine - What is this?

Post by Jamie2110 »

vinp182 wrote: 14/12/18 20:51 There’s a small seal behind that cover that is a common issue, it’s easy enough to change

The belt is just an aux belt the timing has a chain
What is the cover for, what seal am I looking for? Just a gasket?

Cheers

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”