Underbody Corrosion

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2red54

Underbody Corrosion

Post by MR2red54 »

The underbody of my MR2 is quite corroded to say the least. It’s a 2005 with only 53k miles. The bodywork is in great condition. Do most of the MK3s corrode badly? The inner dolls are corroded and the front subframe and rear beam looks bad from the underside. Could anyone reccomend a company in the northwest ideally to repair/restore before it goes too far? Thanks

delhusband
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Underbody Corrosion

Post by delhusband »

MR2red54 wrote: 05/01/19 22:31 The underbody of my MR2 is quite corroded to say the least. It’s a 2005 with only 53k miles. The bodywork is in great condition. Do most of the MK3s corrode badly? The inner dolls are corroded and the front subframe and rear beam looks bad from the underside. Could anyone reccomend a company in the northwest ideally to repair/restore before it goes too far? Thanks
My '06 was in pretty bad shape when I got it, and before my '06 I'd returned an '04 red edition to a dealer with terrible corrosion and a large hole in the subframe. Last year I used a company called Preserve and Protect in Johnstone, near Glasgow in Scotland. They wire brush, steam clean and apply Dinitrol products, which leave the car with a black tar like appearance underneath. Some people not keen on that type of coating, suggesting it makes it harder to spot further rust development. I can't attest to how well the coating has performed as I only had it done last year, and I've not really had it checked since (Preserve and Protect offer a free follow up inspection after the treatment, around 6 months I think it was). I was around the £600 mark for it

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

I think my hubby is one of these people that won't do that, Derek :(

delhusband
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Post by delhusband »

carolineasb wrote: 10/03/19 11:40 I think my hubby is one of these people that won't do that, Derek :(
Yeah fair play Caroline, It must be pretty horrendous working on anything under the car when it's covered in that stuff! It gets everywhere.

carolineasb
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Just like the fact he would not knock the precats out, speaking as a mechanic anyway

Topic author
MR2red54

Post by MR2red54 »

Thanks for all of the replies I’m gonna look into getting the subframes dropped, blasted and powder coated I think. Last weekend I removed all the front end/under bonnet plastics and spare wheel holder/alarm etc and was quite horrified as to what was lurking beneath! Lots more corrosion, The rolls bars and Barack bars and steering rack were bad but there not to worry about. The body and subframe were quite bad with surface corrosion. The power steering rack pipes were in a really bad state, don’t think they can be too far away from springing a leak there that rusty. The UJ was also a nice shade of brown 😄. Lots of work me think if I want it to survive. It’s being ate alive! It’s only covered 54k on an 54 plate

Topic author
MR2red54

Post by MR2red54 »

Topic author
MR2red54

Post by MR2red54 »

Topic author
MR2red54

Post by MR2red54 »

Topic author
MR2red54

Post by MR2red54 »

Topdownman
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by Topdownman »

They all look pretty bad the first time you look at them. Some ones dont seem to like a low mileage though.

I would wire brush and paint with something like rustoleum combicolour and then monitor it. I have got some acf50 to go on mine as that gets good reviews but had no time to squirt it on yet.

I would definitely get the rear nappies off though and have a good look around the rear subframe.

If you havent already done it, I would get loads of grease on the steering UJ.

Topic author
MR2red54

Post by MR2red54 »

Topdownman wrote: 30/03/19 7:29 They all look pretty bad the first time you look at them. Some ones dont seem to like a low mileage though.

I would wire brush and paint with something like rustoleum combicolour and then monitor it. I have got some acf50 to go on mine as that gets good reviews but had no time to squirt it on yet.

I would definitely get the rear nappies off though and have a good look around the rear subframe.

If you havent already done it, I would get loads of grease on the steering UJ.
Cheers mate, I’ve not heard of Rustoleum combicolour before, does the combicolour part of its name just mean it’s available in many colours? Where did you purchase this from? I’ve started rubbing some of it down and treatingbit with a rust converter, I was wondering what products people would reccomend. It’s looks a bit of a nightmare as it going to have move the brake master cylinder and power steering resoivoir and pipes as it’s quite bad behind there too. Thanks

Topic author
MR2red54

Post by MR2red54 »

Defiantly going to inspect the rear subframe soon!

Topdownman
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by Topdownman »

You will need to mail order the rustoleum as I dont think I have ever seen it in a shop but lots of choice online;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/750ml-Rustol ... 44535?var=

Pick a light colour and any rust coming through again will stand out more.

One of these may help with looking inside the subframe;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IP67-USB-END ... ctupt=true

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”