Slight coolant loss

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dinono10

Slight coolant loss

Post by dinono10 »

:confused1:
I noticed in my 04 yesterday whilst checking the oil level that my coolant level was below the low level.
I topped it up to full and have checked today after a 45 min drive and its lost probably about 2 cms.
Should I have anything to worry about?
I'm going to keep a close eye on it.
This is my first winter with the car and I've noticed it takes about 15 mins to get to the half way mark.
I'm in traffic for about 15 mins so that could account for that and rarely exceed 10 mph.
So, advice please guys ;)

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Slight coolant loss

Post by peteV6R5 »

you checking at the overflow / expansion bottle, if like the Mk2 thats the only area that gives high / low reading.
When cold check under the pressure cap to see how much is in the system. if the system is full thats all that really matters. the coolant expands into the plastic bottle as it gets hot, then as cools gets drawn back into the system. you just need enough coolant in the expansion bottle to stop getting air drawn into system
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
dinono10

Re: Slight coolant loss

Post by dinono10 »

Hi Pete. Thanks for your reply.
Yes I did check the expansion tank. The level actually went up when I arrived home and checked whilst it was warm.
I'm assuming when it has cooled, it will return to about the level it was yesterday. I'm assuming then... But what you have written, as long as it doesn't fall below low again, than there is nothing to worry about?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”