Make it less cutesy

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dinono10

Make it less cutesy

Post by dinono10 »

Hi guys,

Had my red mr2 mk3 for nearly a year now. It's been excellent so far. Performs well, no problem at all.
Thing is, compared to my red mr2 mk2 it is quite cute looking (I think).. How mods (cheapish) could I purchase to make it less cute and a little bit more aggressive.

Pics would be appreciated too guys

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Make it less cutesy

Post by Topdownman »

I think any body kit changes the look and makes them look so much better.

A bit limited for what is available though these days. Should be possible to fit yourself but the paint adds a fair bit to the overall cost.

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

It does definitely look better with a body kit. I've been looking, not sure how much it would be with getting it painted. There are a few options including making it look like a Porsche boxter.

The 2004 headlights I think could be improved upon. Not sure what options there are for replacing them :confused1:.. Want to purchase new exhaust instead of the stock for a bit of grunt. Lost for other ideas at the moment :blink:

delhusband
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3

Post by delhusband »

dinono10 wrote: 14/02/19 19:50 Hi guys,

Had my red mr2 mk3 for nearly a year now. It's been excellent so far. Performs well, no problem at all.
Thing is, compared to my red mr2 mk2 it is quite cute looking (I think).. How mods (cheapish) could I purchase to make it less cute and a little bit more aggressive.

Pics would be appreciated too guys
IMO the FL (which I have) has an especially weird 'grin'. number plate position makes it look a bit toothey, but I think that effect is moreso on the pre-FL. I quite like the idea of removing the front number plate holder and fitting an adhesive plate, which might get rid of the "toothey" look. I've seen an adhesive plate on another forum member's car, I quite like it. There may be a bit involved in filling the holes left by the fixing screws before affixing the adhesive plate though. Another thing I've considered, but not attempted, would be to paint the area around the fogs (FL) and the lower part of the air dam a dark matt colour, as an attempt to get rid of the smile - not brave enough to try it myself yet! but I had a try in Microsoft paint, it looked like it might work.

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

Yes I've got the post face lift.

I've got a mk2 mr2 and prefer that look. Saying that, on my list of things to do is to replace the front bumper with a better looking more aggressive one. Possibly get the lights resprayed on the inside. Or put some eye lid things on them to make them look better.

Mine is in red and gave my female colleague a lift home yesterday and she said... It's such a cute car! :ranting1: :facepalm:

With a body kit the right one mind you.. It can look alot better, I just don't want to spend alot in buying one and of course getting it sprayed and fitted.

delhusband

Post by delhusband »

dinono10 wrote: 12/03/19 19:00 she said... It's such a cute car! :ranting1: :facepalm:
Lol! Had the hairdresser comments, just smile :rolleyes: . Always happy to take them out in it to see if I can change their mind. Very successful so far :D

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by peteV6R5 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-mr2-m ... SwLEtYj1VV

manufactures other types as well to order, check the shop.
couple this with a rear wing looks the business imo
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

That does look better and not too expensive :th:

I may enquire local bodyshops to find out how much it would cost for fitting and painting.

Could be under £500 in total.

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by Topdownman »

My side skirts and rear spats are from them.

Chriss

Post by Chriss »

PFL rear lights and headlights look less cute than facelift ones, If I got a FL car I would be looking for LED rears or something similar. Some guys in Japan have added Celica front bumper and lights to their cars but it does not look great for the amount of time and money involved.

A spoiler a front lip and good low stance can do wonders.

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

Chriss wrote: 21/03/19 12:04 PFL rear lights and headlights look less cute than facelift ones, If I got a FL car I would be looking for LED rears or something similar. Some guys in Japan have added Celica front bumper and lights to their cars but it does not look great for the amount of time and money involved.

A spoiler a front lip and good low stance can do wonders.
Hi Chris what do you mean by PFL? Guessing pre facelift? :confused1: :)

delhusband

Post by delhusband »

dinono10 wrote: 24/03/19 17:40 Hi Chris what do you mean by PFL? Guessing pre facelift? :confused1: :)
Yes, PFL is Pre Face lift :th:

Topic author
mvv

Post by mvv »

People say I'm a bit of a puff so I like it as it is.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”