Is my alarm working correctly?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Is my alarm working correctly?

Post by Aerotus »

For my MK3 2003, i unlock the car with the key fob just by pressing unlock. I noticed several times if not every time I get in the car and don't start up the engine but am doing something else, the car alarm goes off after about 10 to 15 seconds. Am i doing something wrong or is my alarm extra sensitive? How do you resolve this?

Aero

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Is my alarm working correctly?

Post by carolineasb »

Does sound as if there is something wrong with the alarm :( does it lock the doors after you get in? As our pfl does that and we just open it again.

There is a box somewhere around the driver's seat on the floor where you can turn down the sensitivity of the alarm but I can't quite remember where it is :( If you search on here or the MR2 Roadster Owners Forum then you may be able to find more about it.

You do know that there are 3 different clicks as well when locking a Roadster?

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

I haven't had a convertible before so i see there are more quirks for them. Basically, security is very strong as the car doesn't seem to stay unlocked for more than 15secs. I believe it relocks itself if you haven't inserted the key and hence the alarm is set again. Now i just remember to put the key in every time i open the door.

And i figured out why you would want to lock it from the inside with the 3 clicks as people could cut your soft top or smash a window and open it from inside.

Thanks

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb »

One click locks, two clicks sets deadlocks too and third click is when you are leaving the car with roof down!

If you do leave it roof down, remember to lock both rear bins , glove compartment and the engine switch/lever on the floor next to the petrol lever!

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

carolineasb wrote: 11/03/19 17:32 One click locks, two clicks sets deadlocks too and third click is when you are leaving the car with roof down!

If you do leave it roof down, remember to lock both rear bins , glove compartment and the engine switch/lever on the floor next to the petrol lever!
Thanks but what do you mean by deadlocks with 2 clicks? When would you use this vs 1 click?

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb »

I always use 2 clicks unless the roof is down and I use the 3. Info should be in your manual (if you have one?)

Topic author
Aerotus

Post by Aerotus »

Is there a way of disabling the alarm when you just want the car locked? Say i leave my kid in the car for 2 mins with the keys in my pocket without the alarm rearming and setting off. How do I do that? In my Audi it has a button on the drivers door which turns off alarm which is very handy.

Aero

Chriss

Post by Chriss »

Does physically locking with the key itself not do this.

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

:th: Should do :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”