Warming your car up time?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Warming your car up time?

Post by Aerotus »

Hi everyone,

How many miles do you have on your mk3 and do you idle the engine for a few mins to warm up the engine oil etc?

Do you lengthen the time during cold winter days? Just trying to see what the consensus is here to prolong engine life.

I used to have a Celica GTS and the lift would not work until the engine was warmed up, so does this differ for the z1 engine of the mk3? Thanks

Aero

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Warming your car up time?

Post by jimi »

If you have any kind of mechanical sympathy you will warm up any cold engine for a few mins before use ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

If you had a high performance engine, then worry about a warm up time. Your MK3 is not going to be critical, just don't thrash it until your water temp comes up so probably like 4 or 5 minutes driving. Probably more important is the oil your running and what condition that is in to be honest.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

My opinion is to get in and get driving... just be gentle (no WOT, high revs etc.) until warmed up. That's why the ZZ engines don't allow lift, for example, until up to temperature.

You've got to spend a loooong time warming up at idle before the coolant and oil are fully up to temperature. Your engine will warm up quicker if you're actually driving so unless you absolutely must have full throttle in the first couple of miles of your trip, just get moving. Don't waste either your time or your neighbours patience by idling on a driveway :th:

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

I get in it. start it, and do the first 100 yards leaving my house without touching the throttle. The high idle pulls the car along up to about 20mph in 4th. Don't do any large throttle openings for at least 5 minutes.

dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

Good question.

For me, this is what I do.

5 mins gentle drive to the coast road.

10 mins in minus 5 mph traffic

Takes my car 15 mins to get to the halfway mark and heater very warm.

I've noticed that twice now I've had to top up my coolant as it was at minimum.

It's booked in for a full service and mot in 10 days time so will be interesting to see if they find a leak. Obviously the cold stayer) weather doesn't help.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

@ dinono10 - have you checked the radiator? It's a common problem in these cars and it's a cheap replacement so much better than cooking your engine!

dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

carolineasb wrote: 12/03/19 22:04 @ dinono10 - have you checked the radiator? It's a common problem in these cars and it's a cheap replacement so much better than cooking your engine!
I know I'm being totally thick.. How do I go about checking the radiator? Thank you in advance.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

shinny wrote: 11/03/19 3:12 My opinion is to get in and get driving... just be gentle (no WOT, high revs etc.) until warmed up. That's why the ZZ engines don't allow lift, for example, until up to temperature.

You've got to spend a loooong time warming up at idle before the coolant and oil are fully up to temperature. Your engine will warm up quicker if you're actually driving so unless you absolutely must have full throttle in the first couple of miles of your trip, just get moving. Don't waste either your time or your neighbours patience by idling on a driveway :th:
:th:

It's not a good idea to use WOT or high revs until the oil is up to temp.
The difficulty with that is you won't know that unless you have an aftermarket oil temperature gauge.
If you don't, you might be surprised how much longer it takes than the coolant to get there.
Especially in the depths of winter.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Personally I wouldn't worry about the oil temp that much. The water temp is setting all the clearances in the engine. Again its more important what oil your running and what condition its in than the temperature of it. Lets be honest its a low tech old engine and all the clearances are going to be on the high side. All the oil in the sump will take 4 or 5 times as long as the coolant to come up to operating temperature, the oil is poor conductor of heat. its bad in both directions hard to heat and hard to cool. The oil cooler under your oil filter will be working in both directions, initially to heat and then to cool.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”