Have I bought a dud??

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Mr Maybe

Have I bought a dud??

Post by Mr Maybe »

Well after much deliberation I decided my new toy would be a Mk3 MR2, and the perfect car appeared for sale locally to me.

...Or so I thought.

It's a facelift 2003 with the 6 speed box. It was SORN'd when I viewed it so I could only test drive it on the industrial estate but it seemed okay.
On the way home from picking it up a week later I noticed it feeling a bit laggy, then soon after the engine light came on.
The next day I took it for a drive... Hardly any power at all below 3500rpm and spluttering terribly, then in higher revs it would pick up and drive normally. It's worse when it's cold but it still does it after a 30min journey. It also backfires sometimes when I lift off. At the moment it's practically undrivable.

Is it screwed, or is it something not so terminal? Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Steve

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Have I bought a dud??

Post by Topdownman »

First thing to do is get a code reader or bluetooth dongle so you can read what code(s) are showing. Very handy thing to have in the toolbox.

Once you have the code you can google it and this will give you a starting point.

Does sound like the seller knew there was a problem as you can clear error codes but they come back after 5-10 miles driving.

If you paid a low price then it may not be the end of the world but try not to panic just yet!

Topic author
Mr Maybe

Post by Mr Maybe »

I have an OBD reader, I just thought I'd ask peoples opinions to see if they coincide with what the readout says. The OBD suggests it's a simple fix, but I'm not convinced.

vinp182
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

I’d start by cleaning the maf sensor
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

Another good thing maybe to put the ad up now for the guys to have a look. I know it might not be helpful. I always why) think if something is something too good to be true. It is usually is and this refers to cars as well. Hopefully all is okay.

Topic author
Mr Maybe

Post by Mr Maybe »

Cheers lads.

The OBD reader says it's an 02 sensor. Bank 1, sensor 2. Would this really cause havoc with how it runs?

The advert doesn't divulge any negative information. It was for sale on Facebook and has since been deleted.

vinp182
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Definitely replace the O2 sensor but I’d still clean the maf sensor as is put money on that causing the issues you explained above
Cars suck donkey balls

Topdownman

Post by Topdownman »

When my O2 sensors went it just used a bit more fuel but it is very a very common fault. Get the denso ones rather than the cheapest you can find. You can buy the universal one which is cheaper and splice the wires to the current plugs to save a bit of cash.

Topic author
Mr Maybe

Post by Mr Maybe »

Thanks guys, gives me a starting point at least. I have contacted the seller explaining that I'm having issues and he did reply showing concern, which I didn't really expect to be honest.

Topdownman

Post by Topdownman »

Hope you get it sorted easily.

This is what I was talking about;

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/amfinder/? ... nt-7790338

Topic author
Mr Maybe

Post by Mr Maybe »

Well sadly it seems I have bought a lemon...

I removed the MAF and cleaned it with the battery disconnected, put it all back together and cleared the engine light. Then I took it for a spin... It's was driving okay but I noticed it had started bellowing blue smoke, and after 15mins of driving it was playing up again. I could change the 02 sensor but it won't cure the smoke pouring out of it.

There will be a sales advert soon, if anyone's interested send me a message. It's a shame because you guys seem like a good bunch and I'd have enjoyed being part of the community, but sadly a rogue trader has sold me a car I can't use...

iPhoenixV
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by iPhoenixV »

Mr Maybe wrote: 31/03/19 14:43 Well sadly it seems I have bought a lemon...

I removed the MAF and cleaned it with the battery disconnected, put it all back together and cleared the engine light. Then I took it for a spin... It's was driving okay but I noticed it had started bellowing blue smoke, and after 15mins of driving it was playing up again. I could change the 02 sensor but it won't cure the smoke pouring out of it.

There will be a sales advert soon, if anyone's interested send me a message. It's a shame because you guys seem like a good bunch and I'd have enjoyed being part of the community, but sadly a rogue trader has sold me a car I can't use...
Sorry to hear this mate, there are some dodgy sellers out there and it’s easy to be caught by one.

Hope you don’t give up on MR2s altogether, fingers crossed you get another one soon 🤞🏻👍🏻

Topic author
Mr Maybe

Post by Mr Maybe »

Cheers pal,

I'm gutted as it's meant to be my competition car for this season, so unless I replace it I'm not racing.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

Is it worth considering a 2zz swap? Donors can be picked up for sensible money and there's a decent upgrade in power
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”