Manifold pre-cat replacement & Wheels

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Scooby250
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Manifold pre-cat replacement & Wheels

Post by Scooby250 »

Hi All,
I have just bought a 2003 facelift MR2 and have noticed a few mentions of problems with the manifold/pre-cat.
Obviously having only just bought the car I want to protect it so is this link the correct parts that I will require to prevent the problems?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2441107070
I also need a bit of advice on what size wheels are best for the MR2 as I think mine has the same size front and back.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Manifold pre-cat replacement & Wheels

Post by vinp182 »

Yeah that manifold will get rid of the pre cats
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
Scooby250

Post by Scooby250 »

Thanks for the info vinp182
Is that all I need to stop the damage from occurring to the engine?
Also will the car still pass it’s mot with this change?

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Yeah it will pass an mot without them. Unfortunately it’s not the pre cars that cause the issues in the first place. The 1zz is a known oil burner and it’s the oil that breaks down the pre cars and the bits sometimes get sucked back into the engine causing more problems

If you are very lucky and your car doesn’t burn oil then whip out the pre cats. They are not a requirement in this country, IIRC they were fitted to comply with laws in California or something along those lines
Cars suck donkey balls

mvv

Post by mvv »

Mine is one of the last 2005 cars (December) I researched it and on balance the view was late cars will be fine. But it niggled so I bought a stainless steel sports manifold which cost about £130. Didn't believe the claim I could get 10 to 15 more bhp but I think i did!

Topic author
Scooby250

Post by Scooby250 »

Hi mvv where did you get yours from as that sounds promising as I would like to improve the performance of the car as much as I can without shelling out to much money.

mvv

Post by mvv »

Sorry, I've looked back in my email but I must have deleted it. I found it on ebay sort of middle price. With VAT, just under £150 from memory. Looking now they seem a bit scarce and this was only about 3 months ago. The link took me to some performance car spares outfit. It says 'Jap Sport' on it.

Topic author
Scooby250

Post by Scooby250 »

Thanks for the info MVV I ordered one yesterday which was similar pricing to what you have mentioned should be here midweek so I can have a go at fitting it over the Easter break.

Topic author
Scooby250

Post by Scooby250 »

Right I need either advice on how to remove the 6 heat shield bolts as all of them are so soft I can not get anything on them to undo them. Thought about grinding them off but not sure I will get my grinder into 3 of them then there is how to you drill out the old bolts as I cannot see how you can get into do that.
Alternatively does anyone know af a garage around Colchester Essex way that could do this?

Topic author
Scooby250

Post by Scooby250 »

Right today I removed my pre cat pipe and fitted my new manifold straight through pipe. Took a bit of work as most bolts on the heat shield were so rusty I had to cut them off.
Can someone tell me is it normal for there to be some steam coming off the oxygen sensors when refitted as I seem to have that happening at the mo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Smiles28

Post by Smiles28 »

Is this the correct replacement to remove the pre cat from a mr2 mk3 52 plate? Thanks.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3487051422

Topic author
Scooby250

Post by Scooby250 »

Hi smiles28,

That looks very similar to the one I fitted so it should do the job.

Smiles28

Post by Smiles28 »

Thanks. Bought and now fitted perfect.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”