Red edition

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
JannyO

Red edition

Post by JannyO »

Hello
I have just purchased a low mileage Red Edition on an 05 plate. I absolutely love the car and all the checks were clear but it shows that had a colour change in 2009 from silver to grey (it’s currently sable grey). Since I bought the car I’ve noticed that Red Editions were only done in Sable ( unless I’m wrong on that) so I’m wondering why mine was silver when new. The log book shows that it was registered as a Red Edition. If anyone can throw any light on this I’d be most grateful.
Many Thanks
John

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Red edition

Post by jimi »

Maybe the colour was simply wrongly registered in the first place and then corrected, if you PM me the VIN number I can tell you what colour it was when it left the factory. ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
JannyO

Post by JannyO »

HI Jimi (any Hendrix connection there?)
Thank you for your reply. Ill dig out the paperwork and send you the details. On the documentation it does officially state a colour change in 2009. The previous owner thought it was repainted. If it was its a very good job as it looks like a factory finish.
Many Thanks again
John

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

My name is James, but I get called Jim or Jimmy or "hey c****" :rofl: So many many years ago I started using Jimi partly as a nod to Mr Hendrix and partly to be just to be different , been using it ever since.
This was my transport back around 1968/69 you can just make out the Jimi on the side panel

VIN number is on a plate either on the LH side of the engine bay above the battery or stamped into the body under the bonnet, depends on the year I think, one of the MK3 guys will know more. There is a little viewing panel in the plastics to help you see it. It's just under the centre criss cross for the air intake (shown above). Picture courtesy of andyroo104

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

I have a red edition which is sable. My reg document says it is silver. It seems likely that yours was too but a previous owner probably decided to get the document changed. I doubt it has been resprayed.

Topic author
JannyO

Post by JannyO »

Thank you very much for your reply. Your comment is really interesting and helps make some sense as my car doesn’t really look like it’s been resprayed.
Thanks again.
John

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”