ODB HUD and ABS light

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
stephen clarke89

ODB HUD and ABS light

Post by stephen clarke89 »

Hi all,

I bought a cheap heads up display (this one https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/HQ7B8Da). It works well but when it's connected and you start the engine the ABS light flashes. It stops flashing when you drive but starts again when you stop.

Any ideas what's going on, if I should worry about it and if I can stop it?

jonquirk

Re: ODB HUD and ABS light

Post by jonquirk »

have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Seriously, when I first plugged my ODB reader in it did that. I unplugged it, plugged it back in again and the ABS light did not flash again. It never has again. My theory, for what it's worth, is that the contacts had become tarnished and needed to be cleaned up a bit which removing and refitting the reader achieved.

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

What does the HUD show and how is it in daylight?

Topic author
stephen clarke89

Post by stephen clarke89 »

Hey, sorry for the lack of reply - I didn't get any notifications.

I plugged and unplugged it a number of times and it still did the same thing. I got nervous so I removed it a while ago but maybe I'll give it another go.

I got one that has speed and RPM. However, the lag on the RPM makes it useless so I just used the speed. I might look at getting a new smaller one that only has speed. The visibility is surprisingly good. You can see it even on the sunniest days except when the sun hits at just the wrong angle. I'd say it's visible 95% of the time (like all good stats I just plucked that out of the air!) Driving with it is really nice. I have to commute through some average speed motorway and it makes that really easy.

My plan if I can get the right HUD is to 3D print a holder that is formed to the dash to try to blend it in and to hold it in the right position.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”