M3 Spurious DTC read out

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Elektronic

M3 Spurious DTC read out

Post by Elektronic »

Hi,
Advice please. Having encountered the engine warning light on my newly acquired 2003 Mk3 got an OBD2 scan tool. I have an error code of P1349, which from the knowledge base and the generic listing supplied with the scan tool does not exist.
The generic list with the tool has a code PO349 which is Camshaft Position sensor, does the Mk 3 have one, if so where.
Or is it likely to be PO134 which is the O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor. I have seen an excellent posting explaining the difference between the banks.
Thoughts and advice will be most welcome.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: M3 Spurious DTC read out

Post by SonicSW20 »

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/p1349-code

VVT code. Your VVT isn't working for some reason.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Elektronic

Post by Elektronic »

Thanks SonicsSW20,
I’ll work through the list of possible causes.
Low / dirty engine oil
Incorrect valve timing, hopefully this is not the case, no sign of previous work.
Faulty oil control valve
Faulty variable valve timing controlled assembly, assume this and the control valve are part of the same assembly
Faulty ECM.
Fro the excellent link you provide have tracked down i think the OEM part number for Variable Valve Timing Solenoid = 1533022030.
All above is listed in case others encounter the same problem.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Its a fairly simple system so hopefully it won't take long to track down the issue. Apparently its not unheard of for the small oil control valve filter to get clogged up. Just got to go through one by one and find the issue!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Elektronic

Post by Elektronic »

Update on the dreaded P1349 code.
Ive changed the oil, was not dirty previously. Cleared the code.
Drove for about 15 miles, engine light illuminated.
Tackled the OCV, what a fiddle to get at it on the Mk3 installation.
Valve looks remarkably clean, no signs of debris or gumming. Works freely when manually operated, also cycles ( jumps /oscillates when 12v ) OK. I assume it does oscillate in the installed condition. Thoughts anyone, on the oscillation, is that how it works. I’m tempted to renew it anyway.
Now the elephant in the room. How on earth to get at the OCV filter which according to other site blogs and pics from Toyota parts catalogue appears just below the OCV.
Has anyone tackled cleaning the filter with the engine installed. Unless I’ve misunderstood its on the bulkhead side of the engine, behind the alternator and below the OCV.
Advise and or comments most welcome

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Correct, its right underneath. Won't be easy to get to in a W30, but if you managed to get to the OCV itself the filter should be doable. Might be tricky to extract it due to visibility and access.

Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Elektronic

Post by Elektronic »

Update No2
Have replaced the OCV, compared it with the new replacement, approx 2mm difference in the valve rested position. Operated the old one electrically several times, resolved the sticking problem.
To be safe have replaced the OCV
Now the filter, for fellow newbies
Remove carbon can and bracket
Remove the auxiliary belt
Remove dipstick bracket and push aside
Remove alternator top mtg bolt, slacken bottom bolt and push alternator forward
Using medium extension with U/J and 3/8 drive socket got the 14mm filter plug out.
Alas, on inspection no filter fitted! Double checked with mirror etc, can see clearly no filter.
Maybe thats the cause for the OCV sticking
New filter ordered.

Remove alternator top mounting

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”