Mohair or Vinyl : can you tell?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
CunningLinguist
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 4

Mohair or Vinyl : can you tell?

Post by CunningLinguist »

Hi. I currently have my MK3 Red edition for sale on this site, and a few other sites. One potential purchaser has contacted me to say that my ad is incorrect in that it says the hood is mohair when he is convinced that the standard roof was vinyl and that mine looks like vinyl to him. I bought the car, in May, and the seller advertised it as mohair, which I didn't question because (a) I thought all post-facelift Red editions had mohair roofs and (b) I expected vinyl would look harder and shinier.
Could those of you in the know please look at my ad and let me know whether I have misrepresented the roof? If so, I'll obviously modify accordingly. Note that many of the photos were taken in the rain, so that might mislead. Thanks, Pat

Topic author
CunningLinguist
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Mohair or Vinyl : can you tell?

Post by CunningLinguist »

I've has several responses on the MR2ROC forum and it looks like the standard Toyota ones were only ever vinyl, but that mine is a later replacement that would be more safely described as fabric than Mohair, as the latter are a rarer and more expensive option. It feels like a heavy tent canvas to me, and isn't at all slippery or plasticky.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”