Heat Shield Bolts

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
themissingelf

Heat Shield Bolts

Post by themissingelf »

Hi,
New member & recently acquired a 2004 MK3 for my mid-life crisis.

Since purchasing the car I've been aware of a smell in the cabin. At first putting it down to "old car / old leather" but now thinking it's being drawn in from outside - maybe the engine bay. It's gets worse when windows are opened or the roof is down - especially is the side window are up at the same time.

Suspecting a possible exhaust leak I've stripped off the manifold heatshield to investigate which leads me to the point of this post...

The nuts were rusted solid and crumbled as I was removing them. I ended up drilling one off, and having to use a rusty nut remover for another. Just about managed to ease the others off but they're all in a bad way.

I was wondering whether there is a superior replacement? I thought about stainless steel but not entirely sure if this is a wise choice being screwed into a different metal plus the heat? Also wondering whether it's worth using a high melting point grease when putting them back?

Grateful for any thoughts and input!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”