Engine oil for 2003

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Dnpostle

Engine oil for 2003

Post by Dnpostle »

Hi all, new to this site.
I have a 4litre castrol Edge 5W-30 LL is this OK for a oil change? A bit concerned because Castrol advise Magnetec start stop oil. Oil left over from a previous car that I didn't use. Would save me money but don't want to risk any damage. TY in advance

JWJ0121

Re: Engine oil for 2003

Post by JWJ0121 »

Not sure what you did in the end but I recently used about 3.5 L Shell Helix 5W-30 for an oil change. First oil change since I brought my '04, not sure what oil was in the engine from previous owner but I suspect it may have been 5W-30. I could have just topped it up since it was below half full on the dipstick but since I didn't know what type of oil was in the engine I thought I'd better not risk it and just empty the old stuff. Didn't change the oil filter as the "dirty oil" had no particulates... plus I have that damn rear diaper which is a faff to take off!

If you look in your Toyota Manual (if you still have it) it will tell you what oils are suitable for your engine, alot of it depends on how cold the temperature is where you are.

After a week I have surprisingly noticed a mild difference in the engine as it revs smoothly now, also at a cold start I was amazed to see the initial idle was around 1500-1600 rpm. Before I changed the oil the initial idle was around 2000 rpm so its obviously done something beneficial. First time using Shell Helix and their big selling point is the "cleaning" additives they add into the oil which help lubricate the engine and other chemistry magic...

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Engine oil for 2003

Post by jimi »

I wouldn't change the oil without changing the filter, for the price of a filter it makes no sense not to.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”