Newbie seeking advice on 2004 Mk3 'RED' MR2

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Steve S2

Newbie seeking advice on 2004 Mk3 'RED' MR2

Post by Steve S2 »

Hi,

I'm very new to the MR2 world and am considering buying a 2004 Mk3 MR2 'RED' special edition. Seems to be mechanically great and drives very well. Only 70,000 miles (I think that's ok for a 16 year-old car!) and the current owner has had it for 13 years. Has a full service history and lots of receipts etc.

Your advice on the following please:

- the car has aircon (a rare option, or so I'm told) but it's not working. Is it likely to just need a re-gas, or do MR2s suffer more expensive aircon problems?

- the red soft-top is very dirty looking. What material is the soft-top made from? Is it vinyl? It's certainly not mohair or fabric. I'm sure it can be cleaned up pretty well, but I have no idea what it's made from. Worst case - what do replacement soft-tops cost?

- Is £3,000 a decent price? The condition is generally good. There are a few dents on the front bonnet and on the rear bumper - nothing that can't be fixed easily.

- I'd like to liven up the sound a bit. Are there decent induction kits and exhausts available for the Mk3 MR2 for not too much money?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Newbie seeking advice on 2004 Mk3 'RED' MR2

Post by Topdownman »

Hi,

Not heard of any MR2 specific problems with aircon. It is fairly uncommon to have aircon .

The standard roof is vinyl. The red edition has a red layer on top of black and they can get worn and blotchy. I wouldnt expect you would be able to do much with the condition of the current one. Many people go to Jack Smiths trimmers in swansea for a replacement roof, just over £300 now I believe (plus more for new drain bags if wanted).

Prices are hard to gauge as the cars dont really depreciate much now. Depends on the part of the country too. Sounds OK?

You wont get any extra performance from an induction kit but you may like the induction sound!
Exhausts are likely to be expensive and probably not much choice now.

Topic author
Steve S2

Post by Steve S2 »

Thanks for the reply.

The car has a double-din Sony CD and tape player (tape player!!). Is it easy enough to replace with a modern double-din head unit?

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

The first time you try to get to the stereo is puzzling but easy once you have done it. Not sure if theres a youtube video?

You will need a wiring adaptor harness and, I think you may need an aerial adaptor too but easy to change to a double/ single din.

You need to use the toyota brackets and attach them to the new unit.

The only issue will be the surround trim as I think the new unit will be slightlty smaller.

andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 15

Post by andyroo »

Steve S2 not sure of your location but i will be putting a 2003 Sable grey with Red Leather in excellent condition, engine freshly built and loads of other new parts fitted, TTE exhaust.
MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”