It's a combination of "old car" and/or exhaust and/or oil and /or "engine" but not obviously any single one of them. Slightly acrid. It's most noticeable when I first open the car and then, once the roof is down and /or windows open it fades with only the occasional stronger whiff returning as I drive. I quite often become aware of it when I turn right. At first I thought it may be the leather interior (that being probably the only material in the cabin likely to be giving off any type of odour) but it's not really a leathery smell.
- I've been all over the exhaust looking for leaks. Nothing. Despite having a slightly loud after market exhaust there's no obvious sound of leaking exhaust either.
- Replaced the hood drainage flaps - just in case they were allowing fumes to be sucked in.
- Spent time sniffing the engine bay with the car running - nothing obvious.
- Bought a diagnostic tester and discovered P0141 and P0135 sensor heater element faults - yet to investigate source of problem.
- Removed the storage cubby holes to check firewall grommets etc - as far as I can tell they're all in good shape. Also to be sure my UK car has NOT got one of the notorious USA carbon something-or-other fuel vent / filter things (it hasn't).
- Removed the under bonnet plastic cover - not really sure what I'm looking for, just getting a little desperate
- Peered at the engine bay, hoses etc; wondering whether it might have something to do with crankcase ventilation?
Do MR2 Roadsters simply smell?!