Keyfob opens doors but alarm still sounds

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Slim Chaney

Keyfob opens doors but alarm still sounds

Post by Slim Chaney »

Hi all.

Ive tried search but no joys.

My mk3 keyfob ( fob 2 months old) is opening my doors and causing my indicators to flash but the minute i open the door the alarm is sounding. I looked like I stole it this morning, never good. To test I pulled up, got out, set the alarm, doors locked, unset, opened doors and it sounded again.

I havent driven it for a week due to holibobs and cant speak for quality of the car battery as the car is fairly new to me.

Ill take any advice, preferably how to permanently disable tha alarm.

Thanks in advance.

Topic author
Slim Chaney

Re: Keyfob opens doors but alarm still sounds

Post by Slim Chaney »

Further info:
Original fob gets the same results.
Dont need to lock car, alarm sounds every time it started
Red led by coin holder is permanently lit.

Topic author
Slim Chaney

Post by Slim Chaney »

Removed sounder from frunk, indicators kept flashing every few seconds.

Changed passenger door switch, car seems okay to unlock, open and start.

Unlock car with fob and then open boot and alarm sounds. Unlock car with fob, start car then turn off and boot can be opened without alarm.

Topic author
Slim Chaney

Post by Slim Chaney »

Couldnt find any issues so managed to download a toyota alarm module installation guide and disconnected the alarm, took less than 30 minutes.

Will try a second hand module off ebay first, it is 14 years old, but if that fails Ill save my pennies and treat myself to a decent 3rd party alarm set up.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Can I ask what you mean by a "key fob"? The remote buttons on the Mk3 are part of the key and are not a separate fob. If you have a separate fob, that appears to indicate that there has been some change to the alarm system recently when you say it is 2 months old or the car is an import as these cars had different alarms fitted when they came into the country is my understanding.

Topic author
Slim Chaney

Post by Slim Chaney »

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :D

My bad on terminology. Back in the 80s all alarms had a seperate fob. I incorrectly used the term keyfob as the key now contains the alarm buttons. I was worried saying "using the key" could confuse as the key in the door can sometimes get a different response to button pressing.

I had a new key cut when I bought the car as the original, genuine toyota key was cracked and I didnt trust it. Unfortunately both keys trigger the same response.

Ive had a good play with the wiring and connectors Ive realised the alarm is suprisingly simple with very few components. Im hoping its the module which Ill attempt to reach on a day off to check model number and pick up a replacement. Its located under the storage bins.

Ill keep posting as finding an answer online has evaded me and Im hoping I may shed light on the problem for others.

Arcizo

Post by Arcizo »

Hi, I am having a similar issue with mine. One of my water drains was damaged, resulting in water pooling in the storage compartment and underneath it, so I suspect the module is damaged.

Could you send me a link to the toyota alarm module installation guide? I would love to disconnect mine!

EDIT:
Oof, just noticed the date... I will leave it up in case the OP shows up again in the future.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”