MR2 Mk3 Battery draining

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andyjb20

MR2 Mk3 Battery draining

Post by andyjb20 »

When I lock the car the immobiliser drains the battery in about 4 days. I have left the car unlocked and the battery is fine even after a week without starting the car.
Had a electrician look at it and could not find a fault.

Has anyone encountered this before
Thanks
Andy

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: MR2 Mk3 Battery draining

Post by MR2DI4 »

Use a multimeter yourself. Put the meter on DC Amps and bring the leads outside of the car and close it up and lock it.

Ideally put the leads in and do not interrupt the power to car so it does not reset any ECU or other control unit.
i.e you want to catch it when its in the fault condition.

4 days if the battery is good is pretty short, you will have a couple of hundred milliamps draw instead of like 30 milliamps draw.

Your battery has to be like new, if its even 3 or 4 years old the capacity drops significantly on your typical battery these days.

If the current draw is normal your battery is stuffed.

Topic author
andyjb20

Re: MR2 Mk3 Battery draining

Post by andyjb20 »

Thanks Carl
Battery is new heavy duty as we changed it as it became faulty after continuous draining and re-charging.

Have used multimeter and removed fuses one by one when immobiliser off, no fault found. So we know it must be the immobiliser.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”