Rear & Front Sub-Frame

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sparky 13

Rear & Front Sub-Frame

Post by Sparky 13 »

Hello,
I'm a new owner of a MK3 2005 MR2 & this is my 1st post, so be gentle!!
When it was up in the air in my local garage (after I brought it!) it is showing signs of corrosion & my mechanic has suggested it will need new sub-frames with-in the coming year.
Any idea where to buy? have fitted by an expert?costs?
We live near the New Forest, Hampshire.

Look forward to any suggestions.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Rear & Front Sub-Frame

Post by carolineasb »

Rear subframe is a common corrosion area but not usually the front :( so harder to get a good second hand one. You could try the usual Roadster breakers like Andrew Henderson at J-Spec or Dick Sloan at MR2 Roadster Recycling although they are pretty far north for you but there are other breakers further south but I'm not so sure of their details. TCB Parts might be an option for new or you could always ask Toyota as parts are not always as dear as you think from them.

Topic author
Sparky 13

Post by Sparky 13 »

Apologies for the late reply.
Thanks for the info, will call TCB parts 1st

JRD93

Post by JRD93 »

Are you able to get some pictures up? My rear subframe was rusty on my MR2, if a mechanic was to see it they would rather replace than to just take the rust off, rust convert and reapply a finish.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

@JRD93 unfortunately, in the Mk3, when the rear subframe goes, it goes spectacularly and from the inside out and sadly most people don't see it until it's too late :( It's not even caught at mot because a lot of cars still have nappies on which the tester can't take off.

abrown67
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abrown67 »

gt4-play.co.uk also sell new sub-frames

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”